Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know I'm posting this in the wrong area, I apologize but the system will not let me post in the disease section for some reason.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.0 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one and NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 x day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Parts of tail falling off, shorter fins, white cotton on damaged parts of tail (corrected with Fungus medicine), won't eat, sits in leaves slightly on side with the tip of his nose out of water
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1-2 months
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, Tetra Fungus medicine and betta revive (all at different times)

This fish keeps getting worse no matter what I do. I change his water every day since he got sick. Yesterday I accidently lifted him out of the water on his plant leaf and he just laid there. I believe there isn't much else I can do but I want to make sure I do everything I can. I'm not new to fish but this one has me stumped. Underneath his chin is very pale.

He's gone from parts of his tail falling off, I believe it's fin rot, to getting white fuzz on his damaged tail (has gone away) he lays in the plant all day, won't eat, won't swim and gulps for air. I'll post a photo when i get home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought summer 2013

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Are you able to post a picture of him? especially the damaged areas.
If it is what I suspect you can try a new medication track which will hopefully perk him up.

Now when he tips over do you see him correcting himself or is he just exhausted?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Are you able to post a picture of him? especially the damaged areas.
If it is what I suspect you can try a new medication track which will hopefully perk him up.

Now when he tips over do you see him correcting himself or is he just exhausted?
He spends most of the time just laying in the plant. He does try to correct himself today, I left the plants out so I could take the picture so he has no choice but other times he just lays there slightly tipped over. I've watched him sink down than he struggles to get up but he makes it. I'll try anything he's my favourite.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If you see signs of him falling over and being upset about it it can indicate swim bladder disorder. Sometimes only part of the swim bladder inflates so instead of floating straight up or sinking like a stone they flip over, this can seriously distress the fish (I guess I would be upset too if every time I stood up I instead stood on my head) which leads to raggedyness.

The first usual things to do with SBD is to use epsom salts and fasting to hopefully allow the fish's own system to flush its guests, if this doesnt work after a few days you can move into heavier options.

Are there any other symptoms you feel we should go over before choosing a medication option?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Lost big part of tail, pieces falling off. He's losing parts of fin under body. He lays in same spot all day ( that I see when I'm home) the tip of his nose is always above the water, at times he sinks straight down. He lays tipped over, he had fuzzy white stuff on damaged tail twice, he hasn't eaten in at least 2 weeks, he's been sick about two months. He shakes his head like a confused dog when his head touches a leaf, he is swollen and pale grey under his chin. Sometimes he was the shape of an s. He had no life to him when I picked him up accidentally, he has a death like stare. When I expanded a picture last night it looked like his scales were raised but I can't be certain. I did try Epsom salt I forgot to list that but I can do it again. Sorry for repeating myself I just am at a loss with this. This may be a coininsidence but he got sick after I put in new live plants and plant food (less than recommended) the other three didn't get sick.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thank you for responding

He also takes a few exaggerated gulps of air quite often. Like he can't get his breath. I've also noticed he gets major stress stripes when changing water, he never used too. There has been times when he's gasping but not today.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Okay the fin shedding, colaration, lethargy and other issues point to an internal toxicology concern. This is likely coming from a bacterial infection that is overloading his system.

I recommend you move into an antibiotic treatment (this is the next step for treating SBD as well). Tetracycline or kanamycine are both broad spectrum antibiotics (look for brands called tetra- or kana-).

The epsom salts can be used at the same time usually (but always follow the packet instructions first, brands change) and try to keep the water levels low of you see him struggling to get a breath. Hopefully he responds soon.

Fingers crossed he perks up soon. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks Taeanna and Russell, I bought the medicine and it's in. It's been a rough few months, I hope it hasn't gone on to long for him to recover. Tip for people reading this: I've seen the medicine for 7.00 cheaper in pet smart. Because petland was close to my house I went there. I asked the guy if he can match pet
smarts price for me (no idea he would but 7.00 is 7.00). Not only did he agree he charged me 1.00 less than pet smart.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Does anyone know if I should be seeing an improvement yet? He's been in tetracycline overnight. I've tried googling and looking at API website but all they say is 4 doses are needed. I see no improvement yet (he did eat one pellet last night after none for 2 weeks but it was too soon for medicine to work) thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.