Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fish has been laying at the surface of the water for a couple days now. sometimes he rolls onto his side and floats like that. his spine looks kinda bent when we lays on his side, but his scales aren't pineconing from what i can see. he has been in this tank for about a week now. i'm not sure what to do or how to help him :(

tank size: 5 gallons
heater and filter: yes
temperature: 80-81 degrees
parameters: pH= 7.2, ammonia= 0.5, nitrite= 0, nitrate= 0
initially the nitrites were high so i was doing 50% water changes every 3 days before getting the parameters above
no tankmates
he won't eat unless i literally spoon feed it into his mouth, i'm using hikari betta bio gold and giving 5 pellets in morning at night (if he'll eat that much)
there is a java fern and some moneywart in the tank
Water Blue Organism Plant Underwater

Water Blue Azure Underwater Fin

Purple Fin Fish Violet Feather

Blue Water Light Purple Fluid

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, Atlantis, & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, Blush, and Crystal.
1,133 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. He is such a beautiful boy! Please fill out the emergency template so we can help you more. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. He is such a beautiful boy! Please fill out the emergency template so we can help you more. :)

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-70ºF
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? betta bio gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 pellets in morning and at night

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
i only had him in the tank for a couple days before he started to look sick. got the water tested and the nitrites were high so i did 50% every 3 days for two changes then got the water tested again and nitrites were 0
What percentage of water did you change? 50% every 3 days while nitrites were high, otherwise i would do 20% weekly
What is the source of your water? tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? i have a gravel vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? seachem prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): 110
Alkalinity (KH): 50

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? a couple days after putting him into the tank
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? his belly looked a little swollen for a bit
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? most of the time he floats on his side at the top of the tank, he rarely goes to the bottom and when he does it looks like he has trouble staying down because he keeps floating back up, sometimes it looks like he's dead because he sinks down sideways or upside down
Is your Betta still eating? he will eat a couple pellets in the morning and at night but only if i put them directly in front of his face, he won't seek them out
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? don't know i just got him
How long have you owned your Betta? about a week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? i don't think so

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, Atlantis, & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, Blush, and Crystal.
1,133 Posts
I would add some Indian almond leaves and api stress coat. He looks so rough right now. Hopefully he'll get better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts