Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Last week I received a Betta as a gift. My friends who gifted me with my Betta also supplied bowl pebbles, the bowl, and the decorations. Now, a week later I'm only realizing that the pebbles, ( i believe) are not meant for fish bowls so they have acquired bacteria even though I have been doing a 20% water change every 2 days. Because of this, my poor Betta has seemed to have gotten pop-eye (just in one eye) and red swollen bumps on the same side of his face. After realizing this I did a complete water change & threw out all of the pebbles as well as cleaned the bowl but today marks the second day he hasn't eaten. I'm planning on going to the pet store and buying more pebbles tomorrow however. :( Please help as to what I can do to help him recover, any information or tips offered is greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would recommend that you move the betta to a larger tank because that makes it so much easier to keep it clean, especially if it is big enough for even a small filter. Go ahead and purchase some better pebbles or gravel. A heater can keep your temp. steady and help prevent sickness, but bowls can be hard to heat compared to aquariums.

You definitely need to use an antibiotic for the pop-eye and red spots! The red spots could be from injury if there are sharp objects in the bowl or from infection. Red sores/streaks can also be from bacterial infection and that is my suspicion in this case. My recommendation is to use a broad spectrum antibiotic that says it can be used for popeye. Kanamyacin is my favorite and can be used in water or mixed into food. Another possibility is tetracycline or triple sulfa. You may want to also use Jungle Fungus Clear if the antibiotic doesn't clear up the eye problem because it can rarely be caused by a fungus as well.

When you use any medication, you should make sure you have circulation. You could purchase a small air pump and airstone. They aren't too expensive and are available at walmart and pet stores.

I would also add aquarium salt (it's helpful for sick fish) and if the eye is very swollen you can use about 1/4 tsp of epsom salt per gallon to help bring the swelling down. You need to do daily or every other day water changes if you use epsom salt though.

Good luck, I hope your fish gets better!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try epsom salt to bring down the swelling. To cure pop eye, you need an antibiotic. Right now, my betta has pop eye and I'm trying Blue Planet Aquari-Cycline. Where are the red sores/streaks on your betta? Gill covers or body?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts