Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my betta is almost a year and a half old. About 6 months ago, he got fin rot, so he's pretty much just a body now (it's pretty sad :-( ) but he seemed healthy until recently. He won't eat (or even look at food) and he sits at the bottom of the tank all day. He doesn't react to my finger or anyone coming into the room like he used to. I've tried changing his food from pellets to brine shrimp flakes, but he won't even get off the bottom of the tank! His tank is clean and he has a good heater and filter. What's wrong with him?? I really don't want him to die. :(

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Did you treat his fin rot at all? Fin rot turns into to body rot (which sounds like what your guy has) if left untreated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I treated him with Betta Fix for the recommended time (7 days then full water change) and he seemed much improved at the time.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You need to add Aquarium Salt to your tank ASAP. bettafix really doesn't do anything and AQ salt is needed to cure fin rot/body rot. Add 1 teaspoon per gallon. Take a few cups of water out of the tank. Dissolve the salt in that water. then add it back, a little bit at a time every 15 minutes or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'm going by Petco tomorrow, I'll pick some up while I'm there. Do I need to change the rocks out at the bottom of the tank, or change the filter cartridge? I wouldn't want to get rid of all the good bacteria in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often do I need to add salt? I added it last week and he seemed to get a little better but now he's back to laying on the bottom and not moving. He still won't eat.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You add it every day for no more than 10 days I believe, and do water changes every day. I would move him out of his tank into a hospital tank. Take out a small cup of water, and the correct amount of salt (I think it was 1/2 teaspoon per gallon?). Dissolve that completely then slowly and gradually add to the tank. Do this every day for..I want to say nine days since you already added it once. Someone else should confirm or deny that though.

Every day do a 100% water change and add back the salt, repeating the process of dissolving it in water and slowly adding it back into the bowl. The salt does not evaporate so you can't continue to add it in.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since he has been sitting in salt water I'm not sure if or how that affects the amount of days you can treat with this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a hospital tank. I'm just going to take out the filtration system and all other rocks and decor and do a full water change, every day, adding in the salt as recommended. Does that seem like a good idea?

·
Registered
432 Posts
How big is your tank? I mean as long as you do a full water change before adding more it shouldn't be an issue, it'll just be a lot more work doing that every day.

I would consider getting a hospital tank in the future. A basic 1gallon bowl would work. A critter keeper would probably work as well. Those tend to be cheaper than glass bowls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My tank is only 1 gallon, but now his scales are looking puffed out so I suspect he has dropsy. :( Any idea of how long he'll live before that gets him?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since it's only one gallon that's fine.
I'm not very familar with dropsy, but I know if treated right away there is a chance. But dropsy is a tough thing to fight. I suggest using the search button at the top of the page when you're on this forums home page and search dropsy for the correct medication, as I unfortunately do not know what medication should be used :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
It would be great if you could post a picture of him, and fill out the form in the sticky at the top of the forum.Those are great helps for anyone else who looks at this thread.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
To treat dropsy you need Epsom Salt, unscented, and you need to act fast. put 2 teaspoons per gallon in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts