Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a Betta 2 1/2 years ago, and have kept him in a 2.5 gallon tank with reverse osmosis RO water and Seachem Replenish, doing 100% water changes every two weeks. He has a filter and a heater. He has been eating one pellet of New Life Spectrum twice a day, and has had one fast day a week.

Problems started about a week and a half ago, when he would go up to the top of the tank for air, but started to sink to the bottom of the tank slowly. It got progressively worse where he was mainly laying down in the bottom of the tank, and had difficulty breathing.

I searched fish forums, and contacted fish vets, but no one contacted us back. I suspected since he was sinking, he he may have swim bladder disorder caused by being constipated, so I fasted him for three days.

I also suspected a bacterial infection so 6 days ago and administered one dose of Kanaplex (kanamycin) into the tank (read it was stronger than Maracyn 2 (minocycline)).

The day I started Kanaplex, a fish vet returned my call and suspected it was a bacterial infection of the swim bladder. He said that Kanaplex often works better for intestinal infections and would probably not be effective, but minocycline(though weak) may be effective. He also suggested an injection of Baytril, followed by dosing of Baytril in the tank. I held off the second dose of Kanaplex as recommended two days later as the vet said it wouldn't work.

I was not able to go to the vet for a Bayril injection as he was over three and a half hours away. I also worried an injection in his body may be too traumatic, as would be the car ride in a non air-conditioned vehicle.

Three days ago it seemed the Betta was getting better with 100% changes every few days. He was swimming to the top and resting on a leaf. When he would breathe, it was much more labored on the right side. I suspected he may still be constipated so tried to feed him a cooked green pea, but he refused. However, he ate a soaked pellet of food (he passed it 36 hours later).

However two days ago, he started laying down in the bottom of the tank, breathing hard and not coming up for air anymore. I started Maracyn 2 as recommended by the vet.

Yesterday and today he has not improved from the second dose of Maracyn 2. I put him in a shallow cup, and he ate some daphnia. He is now is much paler than before.

I do not know how to proceed. Is it recommended to:

1.) Continue the Maracyn 2

2.) Stop the Maracyn 2 and start the Kanaplex again

3.) Go to the vet and get a Baytril injection?

4.) Need a break from all the medication?

Any advice you may provide or referral would be recommended. He is in very dire shape right now, not going to the top for air, lying on his side, pale, and breathing hard.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry Edit:

Any advice you may provide or vet referral (I live in Los Angeles) would be appreciated. He is in very dire shape right now, not going to the top for air, lying on his side, pale, and breathing hard.

Thank you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.