Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have had my betta for just a few months. I do believe we overfed him a bit, so we stopped feeding him for a few days. We started feeding him less now. I cleaned his tank within the last week doing a water change (I did almost a 50% water change which I didn't mean to do a the the time). He used to be very active and always swimming, but a week before the tank cleaning, he started just being really lazy hanging out at the bottom or on his leaf hammock. This is when we suspected overfeeding and stopped.

Yesterday he would lay on the bottom to the point he seemed dead. No movement from anything. Then randomly would bolt around the tank then go back to the resting state. We have a log that he can hide in and I saw him floating at the top of the log most of the night. He has since moved to the top of the tank, but again I see no movement. I tapped on the glass to see if I could get any reaction. To which none happened. About 10 minutes later I did it again and he started moving and "burped" up a really big air bubble. Probably 3 times larger than normal. But he only moved about an inch or so and hasn't moved since.
Any ideas of what could be wrong or if there is anything we can do?

It's a 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter, with a bubble wall (turned the the lowest setting possible). He doesn't seem to have any fin rot or anything in his eyes. His color has faded a bit though.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before the past 2 days he had no trouble coming up for air. To me personally, he doesn't seem bloated. But the last 36 hours or so I have seen little to no movement at all from him. He moves positions in the tank then stays there for multiple hours. I have not seen him come up for air in the past 36 hours. He is currently at the top of the tank, so I'm not sure if he's going when I'm not around or not.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra Betta Flake Medley (Flakes + Krill)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes
Freeze-dried? No?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? We used to feed twice a day about 5-7 flakes (I realize this is too much now). We now feed once a day about 5-7 flakes. I just purchased pellets yesterday, so I'm going to start feeding 2-3 pellets a day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? In the 2 months I did 1 water change, but put new water in as it evaporated.
What percentage of water did you change? 30-50%
What is the source of your water? City
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? API Tap Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Sadly, I did go to the fish store last night and all he said was the parameters were normal. He only said the Nitrates were a bit off and could be causing him stress.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Within the last 2-3 weeks
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Seems faded, but not by much
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No longer active. Sits at top and bottom of tank
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Besides lowering the feed amount, no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 months give or take
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Do not believe so. Was very active when we first got him.

Not sure why the photos are upsidedown.... they show up correct on my phone and laptop, just not in the thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? In the 2 months I did 1 water change, but put new water in as it evaporated.
What percentage of water did you change? 30-50%

I suspect this, possibly in combination with the overfeeding, may be the culprit; 15%-20% per week, with 40% once a month is the usual minimum for water changes.

Regardless, getting him clean water should be a priority. Don't change too much all at once, do a 30% change first, wait a few hours, then perform another one, then wait a few hours again to do another one. Make sure the water you put in is at the right temperature, or do more 20% water changes, again with a few hours in between them. Don't forget the conditioner! The reason for multiple smaller changes is so you don't shock him with too big of a change in water parameters.

For medication, quite a few people on these forums recommend putting Indian almond leaves in the water (dried, so they release tannins) to reduce stress. If you can't find those rooibos tea (the pure stuff, in a tea bag so it doesn't make a mess) is a good alternative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts