Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a month
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap with conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
Dont know
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A month or so who fins started looking a little ragged
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Ragged fins, some pretty close to the body, maybe some white dots on head
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic, not eating
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Tried Bettafix every other day for a week a couple of weeks ago (with filter cartridge in- is this right?) and have been doing 25% water change every week for three or four weeks
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes- ich a few months ago
How long have you owned your Betta? Since Oct
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
Hi, unfortunately his symptoms do not bode well for him.
It looks like he does have some fin rot going on which will need treatment.
I know it's tough right now but he's progressed to the point where he needs medication. I would recommend Seachem Kanaplex or API Triple Sulfa or API Erythromycin (in that order).

His water change schedule needs to be better, for now, while waiting on the meds, you should aim for 50% water changes twice a week and some Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos Teabags (you will need to remove any carbon filtration). Regular water changes (when he's healthy) should be 50% every week.
His nutrition needs to be a little better, for a fish that young, I would expect him to be eating once or twice every day. I usually watch my fish to see when they've had enough, many people recommend watching their bellies to see when it's just slightly rounded, but when my fish was that young, he ate Omega One pellets and was eating 3 - 4 pellets twice a day.

I don't know what state you're living in, but I know PetSmart usually carries meds and they do have curbside pickup if you order online.

Please also give us temperature readings, I don't see a heater in the pictures and being cold can contribute to his situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Do I just put the teabag in the water? For how long? His current water temp is 77. Also, do I remove the carbon filter cartridge when doing meds? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
You can either brew the tea, cool it and add it to his tank or you can just float it in his tank. Due to my schedule, I leave mine in the tank for 24 - 48 hours, but the teabags usually peter out after a few hours. Your water will turn brown.
Yes to removing the carbon filtration, you always want to remove carbon filtration when adding meds to the water. All the medication instructions should say this as well.
We usually recommend their temperature be in the 78 - 82 range, but you can keep it at 77 as long as it doesn't fluctuate a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the Roobios thing and got the meds for tonight. I'll do a 50% water change before adding meds, but is it okay if the other 50% still has the tea in it when I add the meds (was able to find API Triple Sulfa)? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
I did the Roobios thing and got the meds for tonight. I'll do a 50% water change before adding meds, but is it okay if the other 50% still has the tea in it when I add the meds (was able to find API Triple Sulfa)? Thank you!
A 50% water change is fine, you can actually use the tea, or indian almond leaves, with any of the medicines Veloran mentioned. In the past I've used IAL, StressGuard, and Kanaplex together to treat a fish that I bought with severe fin rot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I got him through the doses of API Triple Sulfa and he's eating a little more. I also got a better thermometer so I can control the temp and have raised it to 80. Using the Stressguard too. Can I use the stressguard with the filter? Package says it won't clog filters but doesn't say take out. Also, how often/how much would you recommend doing water changes going forward as he's healing? Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
I'm so glad that he's doing better.

StressGuard will not hurt your filter, or your tanks cycle. Don't use carbon in your filter when using it because the carbon will just remove it.

I'd do 25% water changes once or twice a week. Twice a week would be best but if you can't do that then once a week will do so long as your tank is cycled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts