Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I have a tank with a betta sorority of 5 and unfortunately one of my girls has fallen ill and I would really appreciate if anyone could provide me with any information on how to help her. I've done lots of research but I’m just not sure. She’s has a swelling on her left side and her body seems to be curved. She’s struggling to swim upright and I had noticed a tiny swelling last night but over night it has grown bigger. I do regular water changes and I always test my water. I’ve had them for over a year now and this is the first sick fish I’ve had. I’ve removed her from the big tank and placed her in a separate container to quarantine her because all of the other fish and perfectly healthy. Her appetite is fine but she has become slightly inactive that what she usually is. Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi!
Can you fill in the answers to this form, please? It helps members to provide better replies;

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 64 litres
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 25°C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes an air stone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes 4 other female bettas

Food:
What food brand do you use? Jbl nova betta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? Sometimes freeze-dried blood worms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Enough flakes so after 2 minutes they are done feeding.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of water did you change? About 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?tetra aqua safe and tetra easy balance

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0.20mg/l
Nitrate:0
pH:7.4
Hardness (GH):3
Alkalinity (KH):4

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?yesterday: Sunday 10th January
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?curved body swelling on left side
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?inactive and struggling to swim with head pointed upwards
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?no
How long have you owned your Betta?1 year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?no

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm not an expert, but she seems bloated too?

Do you have some indian almond leaves or plain decaffeinated rooibos tea? These help with stress, but are also anti bacterial and anti fungal, and are a good place to start. Hopefully someone with more extensive experience will see your post soon.

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
335 Posts
Hi there. This looks to be internal damage of some sort. Was she getting bullied at all by the other bettas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys, I have a tank with a betta sorority of 5 and unfortunately one of my girls has fallen ill and I would really appreciate if anyone could provide me with any information on how to help her. I've done lots of research but I’m just not sure. She’s has a swelling on her left side and her body seems to be curved. She’s struggling to swim upright and I had noticed a tiny swelling last night but over night it has grown bigger. I do regular water changes and I always test my water. I’ve had them for over a year now and this is the first sick fish I’ve had. I’ve removed her from the big tank and placed her in a separate container to quarantine her because all of the other fish and perfectly healthy. Her appetite is fine but she has become slightly inactive that what she usually is. Thank you so much for your help. View attachment 1025340 View attachment 1025341
Hi guys, I have a tank with a betta sorority of 5 and unfortunately one of my girls has fallen ill and I would really appreciate if anyone could provide me with any information on how to help her. I've done lots of research but I’m just not sure. She’s has a swelling on her left side and her body seems to be curved. She’s struggling to swim upright and I had noticed a tiny swelling last night but over night it has grown bigger. I do regular water changes and I always test my water. I’ve had them for over a year now and this is the first sick fish I’ve had. I’ve removed her from the big tank and placed her in a separate container to quarantine her because all of the other fish and perfectly healthy. Her appetite is fine but she has become slightly inactive that what she usually is. Thank you so much for your help. View attachment 1025340 View attachment 1025341
Looks like it may be fish tuberculosis. I would be careful, wear gloves when handling/washing hands thoroughly, just in case. Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts