Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 2 months ago my betta developed white spots on body which I thought were columnaris. Did combo of Maracyn and maracyn 2 which initially cleared it. 3 days later the spots were back and a new one developed underneath. I tried maracyn combo again to no avail. Tried kanaplex by itself - no dice but controlled the infection from growing. Furan 2 is no where to be found. Ordered the active ingredient in furan 2 and have now done that with kanaplex 2x- the white spots have gone mostly from sides - but still present underneath in neck area. We switched to spring water cuz I thought maybe our tap was bringing in something bad. Help I’ve spent so much money trying to save my daughters fish that idk what else to do!
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 2x per day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 25-50% 2x a week
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water? Tap- now spring water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? 2x a month 100%

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?2 months
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? White patches, ragged tail
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? See above
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No was a baby

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
How was he acting when you first noticed the areas of white? Is the area under his chin lumpy or smooth? Do you have photos from before you noticed the white; also when you first noticed them?

If you'll embed photos as thumbnails, as you did the last three, they are easier to see. The full-size ones are blurry on my screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How was he acting when you first noticed the areas of white? Is the area under his chin lumpy or smooth? Do you have photos from before you noticed the white; also when you first noticed them?

If you'll embed photos as thumbnails, as you did the last three, they are easier to see. The full-size ones are blurry on my screen.
Beak Bird Tints and shades Feather Pest
Bird Beak Feather Tints and shades Falconiformes
Wood Plant Beak Feather Tints and shades
Carnivore Dog breed Dog Window Tints and shades
Fixture Window Wood Gas Tints and shades
Bird Beak Feather Wood Wing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

He was a normal active betta. Ate well - was active in tank etc.

He still eats but definitely not as much. The white has moved off the sides where it was predominantly before to mostly in the neck area now. I’ve tried as stated before different rounds of antibiotics- with that portion not responding to treatment at all.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Is the area under his chin smooth? It looks to be normal from the photos. Were the other areas of white smooth or lumpy or fuzzy?

If there's any way to show progression? Photos from when he was purchased? Or, before and after the white areas formed/spread?

Are you aware that Betta can change colors? I am almost afraid that's what he was doing and all of those antibiotic treatments have taken their toll. It is recommended that fish be given 5-10 days between using one drug and trying another. If given too close together or too much lethargy is one of the primary symptoms.

His fins look normal for a Crowntail. Can you point out the areas that look ragged?

I know it's a lot of questions but we want to make sure we don't steer you in the wrong direction and cause your boy more harm than good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lost a previous betta to columnaris- and it appeared to be the same to this one. (This one has a completely new tank, filter, everything) I thought maybe it was our water - so this one gets spring water. I do not have pictures of him from before. I’m more concerned with the large white patch on his neck. He previously had large white patches on his sides that have cleared with antibiotics.
The white on his neck area is new. It was not there before. The other areas where there was white are now back to blue.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Is the area under his chin smooth? It looks to be normal from the photos. Were the other areas of white smooth or lumpy or fuzzy?
We don't have much traffic on the weekends. Tomorrow there should be other on with different insight.

BTW, do you have any photos of the Betta Columnaris?

·
Registered
Fishy friends: Chopin, Liszt, Diego, Haku, and Shinah
34 Posts
For what it's worth, his fins all look perfectly fine for a crowntail.

Is there any chance that the white on his belly is a tumor? Blue bettas are prone to them. Tumors look like scaly (not fuzzy) lumps, kinda like a wart that sticks out from the body. Columnaris is fuzzy, from what I understand (like your betta before). It's hard to tell from the pictures. If nothing is different about that spot other than being white (no fuzzy, no pinecone scales, and if that area is still smooth in line with the rest of his body) then that's just his coloring.

Also, did the white spots from earlier look fuzzy, or bumpy from the skin? That would be an infection. Or were they more like smooth single scales? There's a natural coloration pattern called "galaxy" or "galaxy scales/spots" where individual scales grow in white or strongly iridescent. Sometimes those scales stay that way, and other times that iridescence fades or changes position over time. I know that you were medicating him at the time, but if your betta had galaxy scales it's possible that his colors were just changing naturally.

Is he breathing hard at all? Clamped fins (not just normal betta droopy)? Is there major swelling in his belly or pineconing scales? Does he swim around the tank at all on his own, or does he stay stuck hiding in one spot, refusing to come out unless provoked? These are all the kinds of behaviors I've seen when my fish are sick.

I agree with @RussellTheShihTzu, I'd stop medicating for a bit and see how he does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For what it's worth, his fins all look perfectly fine for a crowntail.

Is there any chance that the white on his belly is a tumor? Blue bettas are prone to them. Tumors look like scaly (not fuzzy) lumps, kinda like a wart that sticks out from the body. Columnaris is fuzzy, from what I understand (like your betta before). It's hard to tell from the pictures. If nothing is different about that spot other than being white (no fuzzy, no pinecone scales, and if that area is still smooth in line with the rest of his body) then that's just his coloring.

Also, did the white spots from earlier look fuzzy, or bumpy from the skin? That would be an infection. Or were they more like smooth single scales? There's a natural coloration pattern called "galaxy" or "galaxy scales/spots" where individual scales grow in white or strongly iridescent. Sometimes those scales stay that way, and other times that iridescence fades or changes position over time. I know that you were medicating him at the time, but if your betta had galaxy scales it's possible that his colors were just changing naturally.

Is he breathing hard at all? Clamped fins (not just normal betta droopy)? Is there major swelling in his belly or pineconing scales? Does he swim around the tank at all on his own, or does he stay stuck hiding in one spot, refusing to come out unless provoked? These are all the kinds of behaviors I've seen when my fish are sick.

I agree with @RussellTheShihTzu, I'd stop medicating for a bit and see how he does.
This white is smooth. He likes to chill by his heater- but he’s been swimming around and eating still. I’ve stopped medicating to just see if the white grows any. Just paranoid after losing the last one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts