Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a beautiful Delta Tail Betta and I know he is sick.

He is faded from a beautiful RED and Baby Blue color, lethargic [lays on the bottom and only swims once in a while], he still eats, and eats a lot! He won't eat the pellets I bought him and only blood worms.

I put Aquarium salt in his tank before and he seemed to have gotten better and better. Then now he is back to his original state. I removed him from his planted tank with Ghost Shrimps and placed him in his own bowl just until he gets better.

I hope it's no dropsy.

I changed his 20-30% of his water, added betta water and A-Salt as well as the tank has a heater, and filter.

1. Looks Faded
  2. Lethargic
  3. Big tummy, but no swollen scales or gills

I don't know what to do! :'(

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Sorry to hear your little guy isn't doing so well..

For swelling of the abdomen, ideally you should be using Epsom Salt rather then AQ salt, as AQ salt can make the problem worse.

How much AQ salt did you put in?

How big is his tank?
How often are the water changes?
Water conditioner?
Temp of the tank?
Are the bloodworms freeze dried?

Go ahead and place him in Epsom Salt at 1 tsp per gallon, dissolve it before adding him into it, daily 100% water changes for the next 5-8 days.. that should help him with his stomach.

Is there a way to get a picture of him?

Did you put in the AQ salt into the home tank with live plants and shrimp? If so, start doing water changes- 50% daily over the next few days, as the AQ salt can kill/harm the live plants and shrimp, but don't want to do a complete overhaul and ruin any cycle you have either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear your little guy isn't doing so well..

Foworse.r swelling of the abdomen, ideally you should be using Epsom Salt rather then AQ salt, as AQ salt can make the problem

How much AQ salt did you put in?

How big is his tank?
How often are the water changes?
Water conditioner?
Temp of the tank?
Are the bloodworms freeze dried?

Go ahead and place him in Epsom Salt at 1 tsp per gallon, dissolve it before adding him into it, daily 100% water changes for the next 5-8 days.. that should help him with his stomach.

Is there a way to get a picture of him?

Did you put in the AQ salt into the home tank with live plants and shrimp? If so, start doing water changes- 50% daily over the next few days, as the AQ salt can kill/harm the live plants and shrimp, but don't want to do a complete overhaul and ruin any cycle you have either.

How much AQ salt did you put in? I only put in a few sprinkles

How big is his tank? his tanks is 2.5 Gallons planted, filtered, heated to 76-78
How often are the water changes? Water changes since he got sick Ive been doing 20-40% a day.
Water conditioner? I use PRIME
Temp of the tank? 76-78
Are the bloodworms freeze dried? Yes they are. Local pet store havent had frozen or even live in weeks :-(

Is there a way to get a picture of him? I can

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Prior to being sick, what was the water change schedule and %?

I would definitely do a couple water changes (once a day to avoid shock of your system) while he is in Epsom (in a qt tank) to rid the salt from the tank. A few sprinkles may not do much damage, but rather be safe then sorry.

Can't get him to eat pellets or flakes? Freeze dried lacks so much in nutrition and vitamins (even some frozen lacks because of the way some companies freeze).. New Life Spectrum and Omega One Betta Buffet are very popular with picky eaters- as a lot of pellets don't taste all that well, those two tend to be a great brand and bettas enjoy them over most others. Worth a shot to give him proper nutrition.. I know the frustration with picky eaters, I have some of my own lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prior to being sick, what was the water change schedule and %?

I would definitely do a couple water changes (once a day to avoid shock of your system) while he is in Epsom (in a qt tank) to rid the salt from the tank. A few sprinkles may not do much damage, but rather be safe then sorry.

Can't get him to eat pellets or flakes? Freeze dried lacks so much in nutrition and vitamins (even some frozen lacks because of the way some companies freeze).. New Life Spectrum and Omega One Betta Buffet are very popular with picky eaters- as a lot of pellets don't taste all that well, those two tend to be a great brand and bettas enjoy them over most others. Worth a shot to give him proper nutrition.. I know the frustration with picky eaters, I have some of my own lol.
He is a huge picky eater kind of hard to even feed him.
Thank you for the information! Very useful and fully detailed. I will try and get an update on his status within a week or so.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Thanks! Definitely want an update- for more food ideas or info, just pm me or ask here and I can give you ideals that are cheap (and partly free) to get your guy eating. I'm off for the night otherwise would stick around.. good luck with him!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts

So I moved him to a Tupperware for better picture of him and did a water change :p 2 in one.

Hopefully this helps.
Handsome boy- the Epsom will help him, he's slightly rounded.. it may be from the FD, as they tend to be easy to over feed them, which causes the bacteria gases in the stomach to expand.. FD being empty calories and poor nutrition.
2-3 bloodworms a feeding, twice a day is more then enough for him until you can get him on something else, something healthier.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have fed my fish little pieces of frozen (warmed up) pea once a week instead of pellets, as I read that it offers roughage, and can help keep bettas healthy. He LOVES his pea-meals, almost leaps out of the water to get them, lol.

Maybe a little pea, and then fast a few days? I don't feel qualified to offer advice, but I've seen this said about fish with tummy issues before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have fed my fish little pieces of frozen (warmed up) pea once a week instead of pellets, as I read that it offers roughage, and can help keep bettas healthy. He LOVES his pea-meals, almost leaps out of the water to get them, lol.

Maybe a little pea, and then fast a few days? I don't feel qualified to offer advice, but I've seen this said about fish with tummy issues before.
Actually, i've heard about the pea, blanching it without the shell and it acts as a laxative. However, doesnt the pea kind of harm the insides of the betta as well?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I haven't read that anywhere, on any of the information sites I've been to, so I choose to trust that if it was harmful the experienced betta folks all over would not recommend it so often.

My fishy so far has had two small pea-snacks, just once a week. He seems to have no ill effects so far, but he does poop a lot more. :lol:

But yeah, I'm far from knowledgeable. Just passing on a common suggestion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.