Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a betta who was doing great...only a couple months old. A few days ago I noticed that he was laying at the bottom of the tank and super lethargic. If I go to the tank he will swim around but then lay back on the bottom.

A few days before I had added a new plant to the tank. So I immediatly thought it must be the plant and when I went to clean out the tank and get rid of the plant the roots had completely come off the plant somehow and the plant was rotting and the water smelled.

Here I am 3 days later...Fish is still lethargic and now not eating. I've cleaned the tank everyday and started Aquarium Salt, about half a teaspoon added.

I guess my question is...is there anything I should be treating with specifically for the fish having been in with a rotting plant? I've cleaned the tank really well and ran the rocks under very hot water. I had another plant in the tank also which I scrubbed the leaves of and ran under hot water and this plant still looks really good and healthy.

I cant think of anything else being wrong except for this new plant I had put in the was rotting away (it was only in for maybe 4 days).

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you...

April

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? YES
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily skipping a day every several.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? One a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None that I've noticed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, not eating.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Daily water changes, Aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 Months

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Broken thermometer also...

I was looking at my fish who was resting under the thermometer and I realized the thermometer was broken at the bottom. there was nothing at the end holding things in!! I don't know if my fish is poisoned now or something.

It is not a mercury thermometer (dont know if they even sell them for tanks) and it looked like nothing had fallen out at the bottom (bunch of little black balls and goo). But I don't know...my fish is dying. :cry:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.