Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently posted about my sick betta, and you guys were all very helpful with what to do to heal her. For a while she seemed to make progress, but now she's showing strange behavior, and I don't know what to think. She's been "standing on her head" at the bottom of the tank, and she hasn't moved in a while. I know she's alive though. I'll try to attach a picture.
The original problem was that she stopped eating, and floated on her side at the bottom of the tank. She's also missing some pieces of her rear fin. This started about two weeks ago. I cleaned the whole tank, used water conditioner and aquarium salt, and I added a treatment that treats both ich and velvet. After about a week, she started floating in the top of the tank, occasionally swimming around very sporadically. Now she's at the bottom face first, and it looks like she's having trouble swimming. She hasn't eaten for two weeks. I've even tried giving her frozen brine shrimp and dried bloodworms, her favorite.
Let me know if I need to provide more information. image.jpg

Here's the form:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1.5 (I know it's not the best, but it's all I can do)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? Usually around 74, I've raised it while my fish is sick.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Not sure
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Freeze-dried bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice daily, two worms each time.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once or twice a week
What percentage of water did you change? Full (I've since learned this isn't ideal.)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip
What additives do you use? Water conditioner and aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: Don't know
Nitrite: Don't know
Nitrate: Don't know
pH: Don't know
Hardness (GH): Don't know
Alkalinity (KH): Don't know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Two weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? She's paler, and I've noticed some gold, which led me to believe she has velvet, she originally had some white spots, but they're gone. She is also missing some pieces of her rear fin.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Very lethargic with sudden sporadic swimming.
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I used medicine that fixes ich and velvet.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? About 5 months, I got her at PETCO, so I'd consider her a rescue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts