Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small female betta fish who I got in December of 2013. She has always been somewhat delicate and is prone to slime coat issues and fin rot. I got back from a 9 day trip to find her lying on the bottom of the tank on her side, her breathing seems labored. I initially suspected swim bladder issues.
I noticed one of my plants had died and brown algae was growing on parts of the tank
I did some tests the results were

Temp 77 F
10 gallon US tank with filter
ph=8.2
ammonia= 0.15 ppm
nitrate= 0 ppm
nitrite= 0 ppm

I set her aside in a bowl while I removed the substrate, removed the plant, and conducted a partial water change (30%)

I moved her to a bowl while I removed the substrate from her tank and conducted a 50% water change. She's now back in the tank still lying on her side on the bottom. I talked to who was checking in on her and they said she was fine yesterday.

The pH is always high, but is closer to 7.8 now

Any advice? Is this the end and old age, or can I do something to help?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Brown algae I'm sure appears on new tanks, can't exactly remember why, but you may want to look further into that.

Could you completely fill out the form? It could be SBD, but it may not. Do you have any pictures? Does she try and swim up and fail and sink, or does she want to sit there and doesn't fight it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts