Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time, I'm here for the betta that got me into fishkeeping. His name is Frank. I love this little guy with all of my heart.

He was a community fish for about 2 months after I got him. He was very happy with other fish and snails, even blew nests in the community tank. I left him in the old 10 gallon community tank and moved everyone else to a 20. I bought him a gold mystery snail, and their relationship was innocuous, but didn't seem that special. I got him another snail, and he paid even less attention to that one.

Anyway, recently, the gold snail died. A day or so later, as I was putting in some frogbit, I noticed Frank wasn't swimming around. He was slumping on his heater. I checked on him later and he was laying on the ground. He even started wriggling under his driftwood to sulk.

A few days after that I noticed a small patch of scales that stuck out to me. They're slightly milkier than the rest, but they don't look like they have fungus.

TL;DR: My betta was a happy community fish that lived with a pair of snails after being put on his own, and one died, and now he's acting differently. Also he has a milky patch of scales.

His appetite hasn't been changed at all, and he swims up to see me if he notices me coming up to the tank. I'm wondering if he's ill, cold, or just sad because he misses his snail.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 74 F (it's winter and unfortunately he's below a window)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? He had a pair of snails, now only one.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? Bloodworms on occasion
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed them once a day, skipping a day every so often to aid digestion; I feed them a decent pinch

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of water did you change? Quarter tank
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I vacuum every water change
What additives do you use? Dechlorinator in the water

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: ~7.8
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? He first started slumping last week. I noticed the milky patch a couple of days ago.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? That lightened patch is the only difference.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's been inactive. He rests on top of the heater or on the gravel, as opposed to the casual swimming he normally does.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? I've had him for 9 months. He was not a rescue.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
The lesion near his dorsal fin is one of the classic symptoms of columnaris.

It could be that the snail introduced something into the tank if it wasn't quarantined, or perhaps the death of the snail caused an ammonia spike, which weakened your fish enough that he became more susceptible to infection.

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how to treat columnaris as I don't have any real personal experience with the disease.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There's a product called betta revive that has a lot of good medicines in it without being as strong or including the same things as products like melafix/bettafix. Either type of product is designed for bacterial and/or fungal diseases. Be careful with melafix type products because they are very easy to overdose. I have not heard that about Betta Revive. If you're looking for something easily accessible and that covers a good range of diseases then these types of medicines are usually available at pet stores. I'm not familiar with the above mentioned disease in particular, but if you're looking to do something you can get quickly then a medicine like that could be somewhere to start. Amazon has both if you can't find it in stores. I'd read the labels of both and decide what you'd rather use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using Triple Sulfa as directed on the box, as well as keeping the tank in total darkness unless administering medicine. I'm halfway through the treatment now, having done a quarter change on the hospital just now.

How do I know if this treatment is working? The lesion's still there but appears grayer.

·
Banned
83 Posts
IMO, recommending betta revive and melafix on BACTERIA like columnaris is bad advice. Melafix is pretty much diluited tea tree oil, and oil does nothing against bacteria based infections and it's especially useless against parasites. There's three products that are way better than the -fixes and betta revive and alot more useful. Methylene blue, malachite green and Sera baktopur. Trust me, you'll have much better results with any one of those three.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a light on inside of his tank. I fear it's not working. This is his other side. It looks like another lesion. It may be a bit blurry but the rear of his body seems discolored.

Also, this is the original lesion. It doesn't look much better to me.

Also, the floor of his hospital is littered with... stuff. I don't know what it is.

Please help...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts