Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I don't think Ares is sick. At first, I did. I noticed he had some white on his chin, and on his fins. So I looked closer. They aren't fuzzy or anything like a fungus, and it isn't ick, either. His color is very good, he's a very bright crimson all over with a little peachy-golden face. :cool: His fins are not clamped, he swims around very actively and loves to flare at me and anything else that comes up too close to him. So I guess my question is, is he sick? I read that bettas' chins and face area can turn white with age. But can their fins do that, too? It's like it's creeping up his fins from the base of them where they come off his body. It isn't really white so much as a very light silver. I would appreciate any help.

He lives in a one gallon bowl for the time being (getting his new 10gal monday, whoop whoop!). I do 100% water changes twice a week and partial changes in between as I deem neccessary. Not sure about the temperature, but it isn't very cold or very warm.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I don't currently have access to a good camera to post a good pic of him... Just my phone, and he runs away from cameras anyway... I guess that's the reason I'm getting zero response? But anyway, I spent all afternoon digging, and I finally found a picture of a fish who could be his clone. So I've decided maybe he's not sick, after all.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I had a betta last until he was 7. When he was 5, he started getting another color on him, similar to that. I had him in a 1-2 gallon bowl, room temperature. I think it is just from age... How old is your fella? I also noticed red bettas tend to get a weird color in the crevices of their fins, and even their face.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure how old he is. I bought him at a walmart about three weeks ago because he was the only red one there and he looked so sad in the tiny cup. I was thinking earlier today that maybe I didn't notice these when I bought him because his colors got brighter or came out more or something once he had a little better care. Lol.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well, most of those bettas are about 8-10 months, and depending how long he was there, I'd estimate he'd be about 10 months... Which isn't very old. Which then yeah it could just be coloring :) I know one red betta I've seen had the same kind of odd color that showed up after proper care

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, allright, thank you. I'm relieved to hear he's okay, although feeling a little silly for being like OMGSICKBETTA. I guess it's good to be watchful and concerned, though. ~

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Ohhh same here >< My female did that to me and I was really worried lol. She's just a drama-fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts