Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my little buddy Lucifer (name is part joke, part his color, a lot his attitude) I asked about moving him on another thread, but ai think he is sick. His gills have some black under them, and his fins have brown or black tips (that color seems to vary) I am concerned it is fin rot, as I have only had him a week, I am not sure his normal coloration. His tank is tiny tiny, (just changed the water today and getting him a new tank Friday) could he be naturally colored like this? I'm worried for my little friend, I've only had him that week but I'm very attached to his silly antics. (He darts around, plays with his food and watches or flares at his tank reflection for ages) he eats 2-5 pellets a day of I believe tetra care, (yellow lid, orangy pellets from Walmart)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He also has a pronounced scale pattern, especially when he's stressing or after eating, the scale lines seem to turn black. Also: sometimes hell be deathly still for a few moments and scare me half to death before moving again and being fine.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hi! Saw your other thread as well - I would move him to the big tank after break, just keep this little home sparkling in the meantime. The black under his gills (if it's the stuff I see in the picture) is just his 'beard' and it's great!! It should spread out and make him look BA when he flares!!

The black looks like natural coloration to me. Any chance to get it with some light on it, and also from behind the fins?

I do think I see a tear in his bottom (anal) fin, and some laddering (think a run in pantyhose) in his top (dorsal) fin. I am gonna assume that the food he's eating is pretty full of fillers, if you can, I would look for either New Life Spectrum or Omega One betta PELLETS (flakes are notorious for causing bloating). The higher protein content should help strengthen his fins! Also they're just better overall foods :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
For the playing dead to scare you nonsense - they do that. Jerks. Might just be taking a nap, might be being a butt. Who knows!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
He looks fine to me but as Tea said a better picture would help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a better pic that I'm working on, (he's in less of a mood today and looks healthier) how do I add one from my computer to the comments? It only lets me link.
He eats tetra betta floating mini pellets, (like a piggy)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New image

I believe it's attached now. He's actually in a photo mood today. Too curious about the camera for good photos though. His fins also look much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
As for the pellets (I am the champ of double responses today =/ ) I would just take a look at the ingredients list, and see if it sounds like carnivore/insectivore food.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will do that when I get back home, I didn't even think of most of that, thank you! I'm going to keep changing his water ever 2-3 days until he looks fully better finwise,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts