Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my Petco there's a sign under the bettas, which I don't remember vertbatim but something like "Did you know? Bettas thrive at home in water about the size of the containers they are sold in petstores because it is close to their natural environment, the tiny mud puddles in Thailand."

Not kidding. It really says this, and is endorsed by Petco. No wonder people have such false information about them.

Not to pick on Petco- And I will say that at this particular Petco the employees (while misinformed re: bettas) have been very receptive to my gently educating them now and then.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Oh my god....

sorta like the "pools of water that form in the foot prints of animals :roll:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea True Indigo. I will do that today. I was a little offended by the sign, but mostly just irritated, as Petco is a nat'l corporation, considered by those unknowing to be experts, and is disseminating false information.

I have spoken to the employees there many times about bettas (usually in response to overhearing them give customers bad advice), and as I said, they are very receptive. They have explained to me that they receive some minor training in betta care from the store, basically training put together by Petco. And they are just advising as they were taught, unaware that they are wrong. So I cannot ever blame petstore workers really. The national corps need to update/improve their training with accurate information, and focus less on making a buck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No kidding. I'm thankful that the fish caretakers at my local PetCo are knowledgeable in their own way simply because of their experience. One employee even mentioned, "The training here sucks. They give you the basic training, but nothing else. I know all of these things not because I was trained but because of my experience. It's sickening to be honest." Glad that you've spoken up to them and informed them since many people would be nervous to tell them. The fish manager at my PetCo offers the 2.5 gallon tank as a bare minimum but tries to push for the 5 gallon, even when people ask him about the 1gal and below. Thankfully it seems successful since I see more 5gal and 2.5 gal tanks restocked than anything else below it. :)

And let me know how that goes if you go ahead and do that. I'd be thrilled to hear what they say. Just be nice about it unless they blow you off. Worse comes to worse, you can call corporate and harass them about their bull.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always wondered why pet stores didnt push bigger tanks, since hey, more money for them. They can make a person buy a 5 buck betta tank orrr they can push them into a bigger tanka dna heater , doesnt make much sense. Oh well haha

·
Registered
843 Posts
Petco's care sheet also say that the ideal minimum size for a betta tank is 0.4 gallons and I am pretty sure they sell those 0.3 gallon cubes too. :/

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
You might also want to remind them that comparing the domesticated Betta splendens to the wild cousin habitat isn't a fair comparison....

The Betta we keep and what they sell in the small temporary display cup with lids are different with different needs......You won't find nor would a domesticated long fin Betta survive long in the wild cousin habitat.....so why compare.....

·
Registered
562 Posts
I always wondered why pet stores didnt push bigger tanks, since hey, more money for them. They can make a person buy a 5 buck betta tank orrr they can push them into a bigger tanka dna heater , doesnt make much sense. Oh well haha
I think they are pushing the smaller aquariums for bettas because most people view them as a cheap pet and there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the care of bettas splendens. It's a shame really, but they might actually lose some customers by pushing bigger tanks for bettas. I agree, I would have no problem with this, but the corporation may see it as an issue.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Even those fish born or stranded in 'rain-filled footprints' or puddles eventually try and get the hell out of there and into something a little less inclined to boil, dry out or become a toxic soup.

I can't believe people believe this tripe. But then again I can't believe some people derive enjoyment from putting a fish in a container smaller than the glasses I drink out of.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
You'd think we'd still be in the time when we'd pit dogs against bulls :roll: with some of the stupid things we see/hear about.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did talk to the manager yesterday, who was very apologetic and took the sign down. I gave him a few references, brought up OFL's point (above), and directed him to this forum... He can choose to educate himself and staff or not, but at least the sign is down. And at least they don't try to argue with me- they really do care I think, but just don't have the training.

If anyone on here works at a petstore, perhaps you could try to revamp the betta training for employees?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I sure would if I worked in a LPS store :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'd think we'd still be in the time when we'd pit dogs against bulls :roll: with some of the stupid things we see/hear about.
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but sadly we are still in that time. Not bulls so much but against wild hogs in the south. And of course, still against each other. :redmad:

Sorry, rant over.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: Yes and the dogs we domesticated we've trained to murder people, and murder each other- for no reason but our own enjoyment. Which is funny because I hate squishing bug (though they are not supposed to me in my house :mad: ) because I feel bad xD If I ever fought a dog I'd rather be the one fighting, not my dog D: Also another reason why I see bettas as not "just fish" :3

I saw a pawn shop with two cylinders with rocks and water... one not bad looking the other - amongst the debris (NOT algae, I mean like... left forever POO debris I have never seen even in STORES!!!) a small rotting betta who still lived, and wriggled with all his effort to get up the looooooong vase to breath :(

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thats awful!If I saw a sign like that I would take it down and replace it with a sign stating the correct requirements

1 - 20 of 26 Posts