Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some silly things you've heard about bettas. So this counts as a community rant thread. For me it's these things
1 on the petsmart website they said male bettas only need one gallon and... get this: female bettas need 1 liter. Really? I'd like them to be in bigger containers.
2. The mispronunciation of betta where they say beta.

Share your experience here!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I think the silliest thing I have heard was that bettas are special because they can be kept without a filter. Uhhhhh, any fish can live without a filter if you do 2-3 water changes a week....

I knowingly mispronounce betta.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think the silliest thing I have heard was that bettas are special because they can be kept without a filter. Uhhhhh, any fish can live without a filter if you do 2-3 water changes a week....

I knowingly mispronounce betta.
Maybe they meant that bettas don't need any water aeration/movement? They are sort of "special" in that regard. (I'd never keep one that way, though.)

I mispronounce betta as beta too. Everyone I know pronounces it that way. Bet-uh just sounds wrong. :p

I've heard that they'll eat their own waste, that you can keep them in milk jugs, that a 6 inch container is fine for 2 males, and that a female will kill everything she touches. :roll:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I've been told that bettas can live in cleaned out alcohol bottles for years without water changes.

My first question always is how did they get the fish in there?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have one in a 125 gallon tank :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
That because they live in mud puddles and even sometimes sewers and drainage systems in the wild, it's okay to keep them in small containers and never change the water. ...Wut?

Or people say you have to keep them in small containers because they "don't like big areas." I always say, "No, they don't like OPEN areas" And the reply is most often "Whats the difference?"

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just the other day I was scolded by a silly pet shop employee because I was keeping my betta in a 5 gallon, apparently it was 'too big' and he would 'die from stress' lol you should of seen her face when I told her I was upgrading to a 7 gallon! Because apparently they should be kept in no bigger than a gallon as they live in puddles in the wild... What rubbish lol!!! I tried to tell her that they live in rice paddies, you should have seen her face! She was obviously embarrassed about being 'educated' by a customer half her age! :-D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know. Some one said they were going to fight bettas and I wanted to go: Ok get a maleand a female, Feed the male bloodworms, Heat the water to 80 degrees, Let the female plump up and show vertical bars, make sure the water is half full and there is a small silk plant, let the male see a female and let the water foam up, release the female fora few hours then take her out, give the full tank to me. Make sure the water is in it and half full. LOL, you didn't fight bettas you bred them, Ha Ha Ha!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I thought the silliest thing was when someone was keeping a betta I a vase in a kitchen and was saying that he was spoiled. Actually she did change the water a lot, and the water was at 80 degrees, so it wasn't so bad. And betta can be pronounced. Bay-tah or Bet- tuh. Both are correct.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Both may be accepted (accepted doesn't necessarily mean correct) but betta and beta are are like latter and later, supper and super, galla and gala, dinner and diner, and countless other examples. The double consonant makes the preceding vowel soft, while the single consonant makes the vowel hard.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I say Bay-tuh but im from Oklahoma, you know where dem red-necks be commin from uh-huh. haha, im aloud to mispronounce things. and i remember someone once told me that a betta only needs fed once a week to be happy, any more and it'll pop. o_O And i hate petshop workers they always lie! they are beyond ignorant. one lady was talking about how she put neon fish and mollies etc.with all her bettas, and another 2 people were talking about how she had a betta (these are worker) and named it bubbles, and the 'god fish' died the night before when she took it home so she got another one that day, i went and saw it and it was so pretty, bless the poor thing..

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I don't know how many people I've heard in pet shops saying they were buying bettas as a gift for a child because they can be kept in dirtier water than other fish can. Basically, knowing the kid isn't going to keep up with the maintenance and seemed ok with that. My 3 year old has 2 bettas of her own, and she helps very much with all the maintenance for them but at the end of the day they are MY responsibility.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know that accepted doesn't always been correct, (but I'm not quite sure why I needed a spelling lesson. ) I just read in one of my many betta books that it was correct either way, just that Betta is more commonly used because beta is also used with computers.

New silly/ ridiculous thing. I was looked at old threads, and I found this.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It's pronunciation, not spelling that we were discussing, though the crux of my position is that spelling impacts pronunciation. And it's a discussion so don't take it personally. I was merely providing examples supporting why I don't believe both are correct. Thank you for explaining why you believe both are correct.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
so how should it be pronounced? Bay-tuh or beh-tuh

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I don't know how many people I've heard in pet shops saying they were buying bettas as a gift for a child because they can be kept in dirtier water than other fish can. Basically, knowing the kid isn't going to keep up with the maintenance and seemed ok with that. My 3 year old has 2 bettas of her own, and she helps very much with all the maintenance for them but at the end of the day they are MY responsibility.
I'v heard this as well. My parents bought me bettas when I was around 5 or 6. My parents did a similar thing you are going with your 3 year old. My fish were their responsibility (besides feeding, I had to feed them) but they also made me help out with water changes and such so I learned that fish are fun pets but they do require some work.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I prefer Bay-tuh than beh-tuh

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts