Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Snails poop a lot. The bigger snail, the more ammonia it produces, of course. Personally, I wouldn't keep large snails in a small unplanted, unfiltered tank with fish unless I was prepared for a rigorous water change schedule of several times per week.

I keep a few cherry shrimp with my female in a 3.5 which is heavily planted and filtered. She does snack on them occasionally, but that's to be expected. They have a very small bioload (they don't make a lot of ammonia) but I upped the water changes anyway to compensate for the extra.

The biggest battle in a small tank is keeping ammonia/nitrite levels at 0. I figure, why add to the problem with poopy snails?

Bettas don't need company, they are not social fish. IMO, better to use the money to enrich his environment with some plants/ornaments instead.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
What teeny said, re not needing company.

Bettas are aggressive, territorial, predatory fish. If they can't eat it/mate with it (no, they can't be kept in pairs, the male and female fight until one dies often.. in the wild one would be chased out of the territory after breeding) they don't give a toss.

They -do- enjoy the food-hands (us) offering them a bit of stimulation via playing chase-the-finger and here-have-a-treat etc, but really? They can do without that too if their environment is enriched with hidey/explorey places.

My fish eats the shrimp, when she can catch them. They are not in there for 'company' but to keep the algae on my wood down..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts