Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my beta Fitzy about 6 months and he has been doing great until a few days ago. A couple of days ago he started acting letharthic and hanging around the top corner of the tank. I changed his water tonight and he immediately went to the bottom of the tank and was struggling to swim, plus he was tilting on his side. Now a couple of hours later he seems to be doing a little better is swimming around a little more and still tilting sideways a little. Any ideas? He is in a 2.5 gal. tank, his water temp. is about 72 I feed him pellets and I do full water change every other week and a half change inbetween.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does your tank have a heater? Raising the temperature to 78-82 will help plenty with lethargy and stress. Does your betta's tummy look bloated?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a small heater under the rocks, but I cant adjust it. No he doesn't seem to be bloated at all.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
how often do you change the water and how much?
water conditioner?
how much do you feed it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: my beta is doing a little better tonight, he is no longer sinking and tipping. He is also swimming around a little more but still lethargic. Now he is puffing when he breathes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
266 Posts
If by puffing, you mean puffing his gills, it could be an ammonia problem. I suggest a 100% water change every week from now on with 50% change every 3-4 days in between.

Right now, make sure he has very clean, conditioned, and warm water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts