Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this Betta for almost a year now And he doesn't seem to have put on a ton of weight still. Does he look too skinny? Should I be feeding him more? He eats about 4-6 pellets a day plus bloodworms once in a while. I am slightly concerned about parasites but his behaviour and poop don't seem to indicate anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think he looks fine. Sometimes my betta goes a few days only eating small amounts but it’s because he’s getting old. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you see any bad signs, just keep feeding him the same.

·
Registered
643 Posts
He does look a bit thin to me, but definitely not emaciated or sickly to the point where I'd be concerned.

What brand of food do you feed? If you're feeding a food with a lot of fillers- wheat, soy, pea, or any other veg as the top ingredients- then I'd suggest switching to a better brand like Omega One, New Life Spectrum, or Bug Bites. Cheap foods will fill up his stomach, but won't have as much nutrition per bite. If you can't switch, increase your feedings to twice a day and that may help him fatten up.

But he also might just have a metabolism that runs skinny, so if he's healthy and active then it doesn't need to be a problem that he hasn't put on weight.

·
Super Moderator
18,362 Posts
I agree with @Rana. He is a bit thin but not actually emaciated. And if you are feeding dry food with the first four ingredients anything but whole fish or whole fish meal, switch.

However, if you are using one of the foods Rana mentioned, switch to another of the same quality. Just like with people, some fish do not do well on foods that bother no others.

If he were mine, I would up his intake to twice a day and feed Bloodworms on a daily basis. I feed Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits and a variety of frozen foods.

FWIW, here's an emaciated Betta:

Skinny Betta.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've come back to this thread several times, and after looking at the photos here, and going online to view the photos of the gorgeous Bettas that my search engine provides I've decided I'm also underfeeding my boys. They aren't skinny, just not at optimal body condition. So, I'm working on fixing that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts