Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a top fin filter that came with the 5.5 tank that I have. How can I slow the water flow for Spike? He seems to be hiding quite a bit and when he comes out he quickly swims back into his hiding spots.
That and I'd like the food to float a lil bit before finally sinking.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
680 Posts
Using sponges are pretty nice in comparison to the bottle (youshould make a thread for the sponge since there's one for the bottle, copperarabian!!). I tried the bottle method and while it cock-blocked the majority, my filter was just too strong and still managed to push my fish down everytime he got near the flow out from the sides. Plus my fish loved to flare at the back of the walls and he'd get reeeeeeaallllly close to the bottle, which made me very uncomfortable since the edges weren't exactly the smoothest in existance... I ended up sticking a sponge in the tube part, but the one copperarabian provided seems more efficient 'cause you won't have to worry about the sponge possibly getting sucked into the filter like mine, nor will there be debree build up like mine... Woulda did it similar to this one, but I couldn't figure it out! Now I know xD

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's a different sponge from the one in the pic but I bought mine at Petco. It's just an aquarium safe sponge is all. I used a rubberband to hold it on like the pic.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried a soft sponge. I put it in front of the media and behind the media. Behind it did nothing and in front it stopped all flow and threatened to over flow. Maybe a more pourse sponge would work better??

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think what you should do is experiment- Try (like you said) a more porous sponge or just different variety. Try a different sizes as well. Just make sure any sponge you use (if it's not made for an aquarium specifically) doesn't have any added chemicals like soap... Also, make sure they're kept in a package as its more guaranteed to not have any nasties that could be picked up like the ones that aren't kept in a package >.<

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what you should do is experiment- Try (like you said) a more porous sponge or just different variety. Try a different sizes as well. Just make sure any sponge you use (if it's not made for an aquarium specifically) doesn't have any added chemicals like soap... Also, make sure they're kept in a package as its more guaranteed to not have any nasties that could be picked up like the ones that aren't kept in a package >.<
The sponge I used was 1 I used to wipe of algae from my tanks. Since I got algae magnets I haven't used it in forever xD
The bottle method seems to be working great right now. Spike doesn't go near the filter anymore. Not since he got pushed back while flaring. He no like the filter anymore:lol:
But if he starts going near it again I'll start looking for more sponges.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quick qwestion I currently own 2.5 gallon tank equipt with a heater & a silk plant & one bettas ( neacco*) the filter system I have is a tetra whisperi3....currently its been creating bubbles that over flow the filter system the bubbles arnt like soap bubbles is this usual? Is there any other filters that go with this pump? I rinse the filter out every four day

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick qwestion I currently own 2.5 gallon tank equipt with a heater & a silk plant & one bettas ( neacco*) the filter system I have is a tetra whisperi3....currently its been creating bubbles that over flow the filter system the bubbles arnt like soap bubbles is this usual? Is there any other filters that go with this pump? I rinse the filter out every four day
Bubbles are perfectly normal :)
I typically don't rinse my filters that often. I only rinse if it starts looking really dirty.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very cool thanks for the input!:) is there any other filter that are compateable or that could be added to the filter?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cool thanks for the input!:) is there any other filter that are compateable or that could be added to the filter?
What are you looking to add to the filter? And why?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just would like to slow the water flow in the tank alittle bit..

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts