Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta has a small discolored bump on his ventral fin. I’m wondering if he got caught on something and/or it’s possibly infected. Has anyone else experienced this? His other fins look healthy otherwise. Also I just did a 40-50% water change 30 minutes before I took the reading, so I’m not sure how accurate the numbers below are. The nitrite in his tank right now is kind of high which has me concerned as usually it’s 0ppm every time I take a reading. I may do a full tank clean next weekend or sooner.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
5 gallons

Does it have a filter?
Yes

Does it have a heater?
Yes

What temperature is your tank?
78-80F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Omega One, Betta Min

Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets

Freeze-dried?
Blood worms and Daphnia

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Once a day, sometimes twice. Usually 5 pellets. Once or twice a week I’ll feed him blood worms or Daphnia

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once every 2 weeks

What percentage of water did you change?
20-30%

What is the source of your water?
Tap

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Dip out

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
Aquarium Salt. For conditioner I use API stress coat. I also add a very small amount of pH down (API) and ammonia remover (imagitarium)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: .5ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): 300
Alkalinity (KH): 180

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
About 2 weeks ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Nothing other than the bump

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
No noticeable changes

Is your Betta still eating?
Yes

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
No

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No

How long have you owned your Betta?
About a year

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Not that I know of

Plant Flower Organism Petal Window
Water Leaf Underwater Organism Orange
Plant Natural environment Organism Underwater Terrestrial plant
Underwater Organism Plant Fish Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
61 Posts
OKAY HOLD UP, I had the exact same thing happen to mine a year ago! I’ll insert some pics to show you what the spot like thing looked like on drogon, basically it started off tiny and just grew and grew, I don’t know if it was bacterial or fungal infection or a cyst .. I treated him for bacterial and Fungal but I really don’t think that did anything when I did the treatments.. or maybe they did help but it didn’t go away straight away, it carried on growing and kind of turning lumpy like there were 3/4 white spots there, eventually it broke off and there was a chunk missing and now it’s healing, my best advice to you is KEEP UR WATER CLEAN, keep on top off your water changes and making sure you have an established fish cycle in ur tank, when it looks like it’s gotten huge and lumpy make sure your water is pristine and keep a look out for fuzzy white fungal growing around the area that just broke off where the spot was because it will eventually, mine took a whole year but it didn’t get in the way of my fish’s quality of life, he was still happy and curious, feed ur fish good quality high protein food, I use tetra pro colour multi crisp, it has 46% protein which is one of the best I’ve found, I have the smallest size which is 20g and I’ve only gotten through 1/6th in over a year so it’ll last you forever! I feed mine 3-4 discs depending on how bloated his belly looks, their stomach is only the size of their eyeball, and I have 1 fast day a week, over feeding is the biggest killer in these fishes, I know this doesn’t help you in identifying what the issue is but these are just some tips to give ur fish the best quality of life and for you not to worry too much if it starts getting big, remember ur 25% water change weekly and good high protein food and you’ll be fine, below ive attached a few pictures of what my Betta looked like when I got him with the spot and after the cluster of spots fell off, hes nearly fully heeled, unfortunately I don’t have a picture of all the spots when they became a cluster :(
Plant Fish supply Botany Terrestrial plant Pet supply
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Fish Beak
Flower Plant Leaf Petal Terrestrial plant

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts