Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Today I was cleaning my tank when I cam across some small (Very small) red/brown straight worms on the glass. I panicked and removed the two I saw, and haven’t seen any others. I have a ten gallon with live and fake plants, stocked with 8 corys, 1 betta and 2 guppies. Most are healthy, though one of my guppies has some fin problems along with my betta having very mild finrot. I have 2 assassin snails to combat my bladder snail population and stuff. How do I get rid of these awful gross things??? They’re very small and when I took them out they telescoped into small flat discs. I DO NOT want them exploding and taking over. I’m seriously panicking right now.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Flat? Like flat worms? If you are describing a flat worm with a distinct head, you may have planaria(can't remember their color).
Though it is also possible to have a parasite worm too, since the only okay worm to have is detritus worms, but they are grey.

They probably got in on a live plant, but right now you should focus on cleaning the tank as best as possible to remove the majority of the worms.

Here's a few suggestions that treat planaria, I'm not sure if it will help another variety of worm. Your assassin snails will probably be effected, so remove them before treatment.
*Clout; this is probably the most effective treatment which contains:
4-[p-(dimethylamino)-)O-Phenylbenzylidene]-2,5-cyclohexadien-1-xylidene dimethylammonium chloride; dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxy-ehtel) phosphonate; 1,2-dimmethyl-5 nitromidazole and inert ingredients as non toxic binders.
A negative of this treatment is it cannot be used with Piranhas, Metynnis species, scalelesss fish, bottom feeders, Marine Sharks, or Lion Fish.
Product Reference: Aquarium Products Clout Parasite Treatment

*General Cure; Not as strong, but still often effective and less harsh on delicate fish. General Cure contains Metronidazole & Praziquantel
Product Reference: API Mars Fish Care General Cure Parasite Treatment

*Jungle Parasite Clear; As with General Cure, not as strong as Clout, but still often effective and less harsh on delicate fish.
Product Reference: Jungle Parasite Clear Treatment

*Most Medications/Treatments that contain Trichlorfon (although this is very harsh on silver fish, arowana, and similar)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys! Thank you both for your input. I really panicked when I saw those things. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you two. I have lifeguard on me, which is a sort of general cure, I think. Should I give it a go? I haven’t seen any more of the bad worms, but they may be in hiding. Would the life guard affect my corydoras?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Does lifegaurd treat parasites? If it doesn't, then it won't work.

I haven't used it before, so I don't know if cories are okay with it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not sure. I’ve heard bad thigns about it, tho.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do. Going to town early next week. @trahana, BTW, I LOVE your picture. Fits my boy Sam like a glove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts