Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
So I have a 5 gallon tank, and lately there's been a bunch of little white particles floating around in the water. Does anyone know what this is? Also the water is a little cloudy, not a lot, but just enough to notice it if you look at the tank from the longest side. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Do you have live plants such as mosses, or any shrimp?
If you stick your face close to the glass do you notice these small white particles are climbing around on the glass, as well as moving in the water?
Do you have a filter running in the tank? If so what?
Are they small dots, ovals, or thin lines (like tiny worms)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing alive with the exception of the fish, they did not appear to be moving of their own accord. They were irregular in shape, and inconsistent. Since that post they have largely dissipated, I believe that they were probably just something thrown up when I had vacuumed the gravel yesterday.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Ok well your description rules out a few things (micro crustations and some tiny parasitic worms).. what is your substrate (gravel? what color?) Do you know if your water contains calcium, or if you have a mineral rich water (hard water)? I get calcium deposits on the suction cups (and cords) of my heaters and thermometers, when they break off, they're small white strands, this might be the cause. But some gravels are painted and when the paint breaks off from siphoning or moving gravel around (rubbing staging eachother) it can make a tiny particles mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts