Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have live plants, no real visible algae. Tend to keep my tank very clean. I was informed to supplement with algae tabs. Not only did this ruin the clarity of my tank, but it took three water changes and careful vacuuming to get it all out. I was wondering with my Nerite Snail what else he can munch on. Worried about how much algae their can possibly be. I run my planted plus light on an 8-9 hour timer. Trying to see if I can get a little bit in there. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have live plants, no real visible algae. Tend to keep my tank very clean. I was informed to supplement with algae tabs. Not only did this ruin the clarity of my tank, but it took three water changes and careful vacuuming to get it all out. I was wondering with my Nerite Snail what else he can munch on. Worried about how much algae their can possibly be. I run my planted plus light on an 8-9 hour timer. Trying to see if I can get a little bit in there. Thoughts? Thanks!
There are lots of things you can feed your Nerite that are good for him. The only problem is getting him to eat it :) Nerites are notorious for not eating supplemental goodies we put in the tank for them. You practically have to stick it under their noses, and even then, they may just crawl over it and go about there way.

Even still, you can slice up thin layers of zucchini and lay them out for him. You might try setting him on top of it. Sometimes that works. If not, just take it out and try again another time.

Another option someone suggested to me was brilliant in its simplicity. Keep a rock in water on the window sill until it gets a nice coating of algae on it. Then place it in the aquarium. Guaranteed he'll clean it off, and it's good for him. You can rotate rocks in and out to keep a constant supply of the algae for him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts