Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory: about 3 weeks ago, I acquired a small nerite snail without much noticed. Because I feared he could have been sick or have some bacteria on him (due to the conditions he was kept in before), I put him in a QT tank for the last 3 weeks.

Okay tonight (3 weeks later), I attempted to add him to one of my betta tanks. Attempted being the key word here.

I put him in my girl Stella's tank - she went crazy and started flaring and showing stress stripes. So I took him out.

I put him in Perry's tank - he charged at him and kept knocking him off the side of the tank.

I put him in Ronnie's tank - he tried to eat him.

So I think it is safe to say that none of my bettas like tank mates.

So right now, the snail (who is named Cedric) is in a .5 gallon holding tank with a live plant getting daily 100% water changes and gravel cleanings.

My Plan: buy a 1.5 gallon kritter keeper, more plants (lots of plants), and some sand. I have a spare heater that will fit a 1.5 gallon kritter keeper.

My Questions: can I add more snails? Exactly how many is a good idea? can I add other snails besides nerite snails since they are extremely hard to come by in my area?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that.

The only other issue with her tank is that she has chronic swim bladder problems - genetic ones. So she gets bloated very easily and if that happens I would be adding Epsom Salt to the tank (it seems to always work) and in that case I would have to take the snail out each time.

so maybe the kk would be the best bet. Awesome, my LFS always has rams horns so that would be perfect.

idk if they conditions would be good enough for shrimp but maybe down the line.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awe, I think you'll be fine. Ive never had a fish react badly to having snails in their tank until last night.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
All 3 of mine have hugely different personalities. 1 is laid back like a cucumber, 2 is a bit more aggressive, flares at food etc and the 3 is the only female and she is by far the worst, not afraid of anything and is real bold. Show some picks when you set up the snail house. I like the name Cedric, mine is buckle (keeping with the country theme)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be happy to :)

I think Im going to go to Petco after work to get all the stuff tomorrow. I have a $50 giftcard from my parents that I got at christmas so that will be plenty of money to get a kk, sand, and some plants.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just thought I would mention that my Ramshorn (really an apple snail, despite being gorgeous) ate (decimated) my live plants!! I finally returned him to the LFS and was told "they do that". Hmph. Nerites don't eat plants, from what I understand. Snail was exchanged for an African dwarf frog, who is darling and has thrived. Maybe your nerite might like an ADF? Mine is fed Zoomed Aquatic Frog and Tadpole Food. ADFs are inexpensive and a lot of fun. I use a little shell to feed him once a day, and he is quite active and loves his plants. They do like a hidey-hole.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought ADF were sensitive to water parameters? the tank would be small and unicycle so I think sticking to snails might be the best.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mobius, I believe the employee might be wrong. From all that I've read on mystery/apple snails, the ones that eat live plants are very rare to find in the hobby. They will eat decaying plants, though.

Vivian, what does your nerite eat? I would love one but I'm not fond of the idea of having to grow algae somewhere else, I have a very curious cat that gets on everything.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The small QT is on my desk that has a very bright desk lamp so I just keep the light on during the day hours and turn it off at night. My snail poops like there is no tomorrow so I have a good feeling that he is getting enough food.

Just in case, I do have a small cup of water with rocks by my window and I grow algae on those.

i heard that some nerite snails will eat cucumber or zucchini. I have not tried to feed my snail any of these though.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The small QT is on my desk that has a very bright desk lamp so I just keep the light on during the day hours and turn it off at night. My snail poops like there is no tomorrow so I have a good feeling that he is getting enough food.

Just in case, I do have a small cup of water with rocks by my window and I grow algae on those.

i heard that some nerite snails will eat cucumber or zucchini. I have not tried to feed my snail any of these though.

I still need to read on foods for my new guy (check out last nights thread) but before I took back the apple snail I sunk some pellets and he ate them. I've heard of wafers but the zucchini is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

I wonder if algae wafers would work? Would be pretty convenient if they did.

You can feed them zucchini for sure! I think they will take it raw but it works better if you blanch it first so it sinks and doesn't float around the tank.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried the algae wafers and my snail ignored them so I'm gonna stick to algae or zucchini.

·
Banned
580 Posts
My nitrate isnt keen on the wafers either i have not tried the others yet once i do ill let u know too good luck viv

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Ok I'll follow suit and buy zucchini instead of wafers. Why bother wasting money needlessly. My cord is slightly holing the cover up a bit. I won't cut into the lid and I could hid the heater in the back compartment but I would rather see the light come on and off. Are these guys escape artists? It is above the water line

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahahaha yes, they are escape artists. They love to hang around at the waterline and will basically crawl over everything. Mine even crawled into the underside of the lid.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Guess the heater is being moved lol. Why did I get the bright idea to buy a snail? Still unnamed but playing with buckle (keeping with my country western theme) or escargot which I find amusing

1 - 20 of 49 Posts