Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about adding snails to the baby tanks and was at the LFS the other day and they have Mystery Snails (Blue) there. Looked like a nice new shipment and all appeared to be in good health however they are in the tanks with other fish of course. Since I'm now spending about 4-6 hours working with the fish, I know its a lot! but I'm determined here...daily I'm really thinking hard about adding a snail or two per baby tank. (Tanks are 10 Gallons).

What are your recommendations about buying snails from the LFS or should I purchase them offline? Any quarantine period necessary before adding them into the tanks?

Thanks,

Lui & the Gang.

·
Registered
678 Posts
^ Agreed. With a mystery snail, though, don't quarantine it in anything too small.... Even though you might be getting a tiny little mystery snail, those things poop like crazy and have stuff in their digestive system that stinks to high heaven if you have them in anything small.... I definitely learned my lesson when I first got my snail -.- Had it in a vase that was about 1/2 gallon (I really wanted one and I was trying to cycle my 5g at the time).. I was going to do 100% daily changes, but after the first couple of days, it seemed like I would have to change the water every 12 hours or less rather than just the one... -.-

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. I know about quarantine, but never heard of it with the snails so I was just making sure. These three that I purchased yesterday have a 10 Gallon to themselves right now for a week or so until I am comfortable with them being placed with the fish. Thanks again! Lui

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.