Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have snail tank that I set up yesterday.
It is a 1.5 gallon Kritter Keeper that is heated, no filter as of right now.
This is the heater which i bought about a year a go after an emergency situation.... don't ask.
http://www.petco.com/product/114078/Tetra-Submersible-Aquarium-Heaters.aspx?
The temperature is at 78 (thermometer is at the opposite end of the tank from the heater)
The tank holds 3 nerite snails.
There is also 5 live plants in the tank with sand covered in gravel.

My questions - one of my snails (Sirius) keeps crawling on the heater. Is this safe or will this hurt him?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Watch water quality, nerites make a lot of poop. I can't say for certain about the heater, but if it was uncomfortable they can just detach (go in their shell) and fall off.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry, I am. I am testing the water daily until I get an idea of how fast the levels will build up. I tested today and there is 0 across the board but I have I feeling I will be doing a water change tomorrow. My plan is to test my water every day for at least a month or so until I have a good idea what the water change schedule will be.

glad to know the heater isn't hurting them. I've touched it with my finger (when it was on) and it didn't hurt but I was wondering if it was hurting them. I've never had a snail crawl on a heater before.

·
Banned
580 Posts
Don't worry, I am. I am testing the water daily until I get an idea of how fast the levels will build up. I tested today and there is 0 across the board but I have I feeling I will be doing a water change tomorrow. My plan is to test my water every day for at least a month or so until I have a good idea what the water change schedule will be.

glad to know the heater isn't hurting them. I've touched it with my finger (when it was on) and it didn't hurt but I was wondering if it was hurting them. I've never had a snail crawl on a heater before.
I thought the same too viv n potter just crawled down mine as i watched. He sure did a banging up eating that alage off the top portion n i had to turn it round too ... I love my snail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts