Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I found a snail in my tank that isn't familiar to me. I had some new plants added in that I treated with some hydrogen peroxide. I didn't see this snail at all. But so far the little guy seems to be thriving. Does anyone know what kind of snail it is? And should I be worried about it multiplying?
edit
Added more pictures
Water Grass Wood Terrestrial plant Plant

Forgive me for the algae. Haven't been up to par with glass maintenance lately.
Hand Blue Gesture Finger Nail

Plant Liquid Water Nature Blue

Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Terrestrial animal Grass

For a snail, it can sure move around.

·
Registered
2 miniature poodle mix (Lexie & Riley), 2 bettas (Thunder Burrito 2.0 & Lucy), 1 hamster (Louie)
31 Posts
It looks to me like it may be a pond snail. They typically hitch a ride in plants, so if you've introduced any new plants to the aquarium that's probably how it got in. They don't multiply as long as you don't overfeed the tank. If you do overfeed then you will soon be overrun with snails. Most people take them out of the tank, some people don't mind them at all, I personally don't mind them, they help keep my tanks clean and as long as I don't overfeed, the population is controlled. I've heard hydrogen peroxide doesn't always kill them, sometimes there are a few that survive the treatment so that one snail might have made it through.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks to me like it may be a pond snail. They typically hitch a ride in plants, so if you've introduced any new plants to the aquarium that's probably how it got in. They don't multiply as long as you don't overfeed the tank. If you do overfeed then you will soon be overrun with snails. Most people take them out of the tank, some people don't mind them at all, I personally don't mind them, they help keep my tanks clean and as long as I don't overfeed, the population is controlled. I've heard hydrogen peroxide doesn't always kill them, sometimes there are a few that survive the treatment so that one snail might have made it through.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah it seems to be a pond snail. I guess this snail is tough enough to handle the hydrogen peroxide dip. The little thing is starting to grow on me tbh. And I've actually seen it lay some eggs on the glass yesterday, which made me think "maybe having more snails isn't such a bad thing." It was a small clutch of eggs about half an inch long. But when I checked on it again my rainbow shark was gobbling it all up. Oh well. One snail is enough.

·
Premium Member
Archie and Oscar (my dogs) Brody, Simon, Hank (my dogs) and -
605 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Yeah it seems to be a pond snail. I guess this snail is tough enough to handle the hydrogen peroxide dip. The little thing is starting to grow on me tbh. And I've actually seen it lay some eggs on the glass yesterday, which made me think "maybe having more snails isn't such a bad thing." It was a small clutch of eggs about half an inch long. But when I checked on it again my rainbow shark was gobbling it all up. Oh well. One snail is enough.
Hi! Looks like a pond or bladder snail to me. Just a warning, these little cuties multiply like crazy. I’m not sure how large your tank is but you could go from this one snail to hundreds within two weeks possibly sooner. Those clear jelly like eggs will hide under and in everything too. I hate to be a buzz kill but I’ve been there and no lie, you will have quite a problem on your hands if you don’t want to be overrun.

The babies are SO tiny too and almost translucent. Anyway, sorry to be a party popper! I just want to make sure you know that if you don’t plan or aren’t able to scour your tabj for eggs, expect many many more! They will eat your algae though!

Alrhough, maybe your rainbow shark will take care of all the “dirty work”!

·
Registered
2 miniature poodle mix (Lexie & Riley), 2 bettas (Thunder Burrito 2.0 & Lucy), 1 hamster (Louie)
31 Posts
Hi! Looks like a pond or bladder snail to me. Just a warning, these little cuties multiply like crazy. I’m not sure how large your tank is but you could go from this one snail to hundreds within two weeks possibly sooner. Those clear jelly like eggs will hide under and in everything too. I hate to be a buzz kill but I’ve been there and no lie, you will have quite a problem on your hands if you don’t want to be overrun.

The babies are SO tiny too and almost translucent. Anyway, sorry to be a party popper! I just want to make sure you know that if you don’t plan or aren’t able to scour your tabj for eggs, expect many many more! They will eat your algae though!

I agree. They can become a pest but I’ve found they only do this when you overfeed the tank. I have a five gallon tank with a betta, cherry shrimp, and two baby guppies in it (guppies hitched a hike when I bought the cherry shrimp). I introduced new plants to the tank and had a few of the snail eggs on there. So far I haven’t been overrun with tons of the snails. I see the occasional here and there. I mostly just hand feed the betta and the shrimp and guppies have a small feeding dish that gets cleaned out after they’re done eating. It also seems like your rainbow shark will help you keep their population under control too.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I agree. They can become a pest but I’ve found they only do this when you overfeed the tank. I have a five gallon tank with a betta, cherry shrimp, and two baby guppies in it (guppies hitched a hike when I bought the cherry shrimp). I introduced new plants to the tank and had a few of the snail eggs on there. So far I haven’t been overrun with tons of the snails. I see the occasional here and there. I mostly just hand feed the betta and the shrimp and guppies have a small feeding dish that gets cleaned out after they’re done eating. It also seems like your rainbow shark will help you keep their population under control too.
That’s great they don’t drive you crazy and stay under control! I’ve had them come in on plants and usually bring them to Petco because they will take them and I don’t have to kill them. I keep them in a small tank with plants or rocks I grew algae on in the meantime. One time I waited too long and started with two, within a week I must’ve had 20-30. I’m sure I probably overfed them and obviously missed some eggs but I was astounded by the reproduction rate. I can’t imagine if I waited longer. 😆. It’s all good though! If I could keep them, I totally would! I have 6 horned nerite snails that don’t reproduce in freshwater and do an amazing job keeping the algae under control so they’re my cute lil cleanup gang!

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
One more thing, with the cherry shrimp, did you add your betta to the tank first or the shrimp or all at once? I’m only curious because I love shrimp but don’t have any and was wondering how things go with your betta getting along with him?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Oohh thanks for the heads up. I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank with 10 bettas (its a long story) and the rainbow shark. I'm slowly adding more plants to give the bettas more hides and places to explore. So it's possible that there could be baby snails in there if the RS hasn't eaten them yet. But so far I haven't seen any babies. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That’s great they don’t drive you crazy and stay under control! I’ve had them come in on plants and usually bring them to Petco because they will take them and I don’t have to kill them. I keep them in a small tank with plants or rocks I grew algae on in the meantime. One time I waited too long and started with two, within a week I must’ve had 20-30. I’m sure I probably overfed them and obviously missed some eggs but I was astounded by the reproduction rate. I can’t imagine if I waited longer. 😆. It’s all good though! If I could keep them, I totally would! I have 6 horned nerite snails that don’t reproduce in freshwater and do an amazing job keeping the algae under control so they’re my cute lil cleanup gang!
I also had another tank that was being overfed and had the same issue. It started out with maybe 5 and then turned into about 50 in a few days. That’s only the few I could see. Then in the other tank I only noticed one here and there every so often and that’s when I realized I was over feeding 😂. You can control the population but it can be hard sometimes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One more thing, with the cherry shrimp, did you add your betta to the tank first or the shrimp or all at once? I’m only curious because I love shrimp but don’t have any and was wondering how things go with your betta getting along with him?
I added the betta first and the shrimp came in a while later. He had been previously in a tank with ghost shrimp and he never bothered them so I decided to introduce the cherry shrimp. He doesn’t bother any of them but I did notice he will chase the two baby guppies that hitchhiked with the shrimp but they’re faster than him so I’m not worried about them. I also have a tank that’s heavily planted on one side for the shrimp and guppies to hide in.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Oohh thanks for the heads up. I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank with 10 bettas (its a long story) and the rainbow shark. I'm slowly adding more plants to give the bettas more hides and places to explore. So it's possible that there could be baby snails in there if the RS hasn't eaten them yet. But so far I haven't seen any babies. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Oh ok. Yes, be so careful because these snails poop a lot and and with too many bettas in one tank, the ammonia levels are hard to control until you move the bettas to their own tanks even if you’re doing daily cleanings and water changes.

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, & Pinky.
1,404 Posts
How I control them: I vacuum them up. :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
No no, do you mean the snails? You can do a bleach method. I would google it as I usually dropped them off at Petco. Don’t flush them. It can cause all sorts of issues for your plumbing and local waterways plus it’s inhumane IMO

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Make sure to scour your tank for eggs. You can simply freeze the eggs for 24-48 hours, crush them and dispose properly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts