Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if I should put a snail in my sorority tank? It has three girls right now and is a 10 gal with a few live plants.

Also, if I should, does that mean my boys need one as well? They're in a divided 10gal.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Before thinking about a snail I would add another female or 2. Three is not a good number for sororities, it could end badly.

I say get a snail if you want it. I don't like them in my tanks, not even in my breeding tanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the three in the tank for over a week now. They're siblings I bought from DarkMoon. They have their pecking order and don't bother each other. They even sleep near each other.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
It's still playing with a time bomb.. females don't actually like being with other females by nature.. it's only been a week, in time I'm sure like all the other times when people only place 3 girls into a tank- two will gang up on one until she is dead or removed, and then the other two will fight. It may not happen today, but it'll happen at some point. I strongly encourage you to get another female or two and make sure you have the sorority properly set up- tons and tons of plants, etc. Even the best set up sororities easily fail, and can happen at any time.
So it's recommended to do it properly from the get-go to give them a good chance.
Sisters or no sisters, natural instincts will override being sisters in the fish world.

Make sure to rearrange all your plants when adding in a new girl.
As for a snail, as long as you supplement it's food (and make it so the bettas don't eat it) then you could place one in there.. any more and you run the risk of having your tank crawling with snails- they tend to have large bio loads, so you don't want to have too many if your tank isn't properly set up for them.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have always lived together and have been doing fine. I have a lot of places for them all to hide. I was simply wondering if a snail would be a good idea or not.

·
Registered
680 Posts
^ I agree, adding more females override the want for a snail..... I've seen it first hand in my 6th grade sience class... long story short, 3-4 females, dead within a month... It seemed okay at first, but eventually it turned REALLY ugly.. ;__;... It's better to try to avoid the situation and take care of it the best way possible than say "Well, they're doing okay now, so lets not worry about it." I'm not trying to hassle you about it, but I'd like to encourage you to rethink the situation and try for the best outcome that has proved to be the overall best when it comes to sororities.
Otherwise, as far as snails go; You don't really need one. It depends on why you want one and what type you get, but overall it's still not a necessity. There are some apple/mystery snails that will eat plants and others that only eat more decaying matter/algae so if you aim for an apple snail check on the type beforehand or you might have a snail that eats all your live plants.... Otherwise they're not hermaphrodites so you need a male and female to breed. BUT keep an eye out for eggs cause apparently female apple snails can hold sperm up to 6 months so you might end up with a baby boom if you're not careful. There is another kind of snail that only breeds in salt water, but I forget what type it is... Otherwise, there are types of snails that breed with themselves... assassin snails eat other snails/small critters... but do keep in mind they do typically have large bioloads... Make sure you provide enough calcium for the little guy(s) and check water perameters that are necessary for snails, like pH, kH, and I think gH(?). If you really want a snail, definitely do your research for whatever type you plan on getting

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do plan on getting more girls in the future. I keep a close eye on all my bettas.

Thank you for the information on snails. I'm not really set on getting any. Had just wondered if it was considered a good idea or not.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well that's good ^.^ I've never had a sorority before, but I've seen one and have read enough about them I was worried... but so long as you keep an eye on them, it's not like you can't separate them if they start being extra nippy and you said you plan on getting more later on so it only seemed like a 'red flag' situation at first glance...
Anyway... Some people get snails to get rid of algae, but overall it seems like there are better methods to getting rid of it, like fixing the light situation to where it works to your advantage or just maintenance it regularly to deter it. Snails eat algae, but they have other needs for food than just the green stuff and don't really do that great of a job at cleaning it up, no offense to snails 'cause I like them.. >.>... but yeah, otherwise, if you have other snails wreaking havoc, assassin snails can kinda help keep the ranks at bay which is why it depends on what uses you're looking for in a snail.. Seems like you'll do better without having any snails in my opinion ^.^;; Unless it just becomes a personal preference lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My females haven't nipped each other at all. They did a little chasing and my copper marble dragon, Lolth, flared at the other two to claim a section of the tank. Other than that, they have gotten along. I just don't want to add any petstore girls to my tank. Not knowing the history of their fish, I don't want to bring them into the house. I bought a male from the local PetSmart for my daughter (I take care of Hannibal but he is for her) but I don't buy from there for myself.

They kind of sound like more trouble than they're really worth. Some of them look nice, but still. I definitely don't want anything that will eat my live plants or take over my tanks.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Doesn't matter if they are spawn siblings or not, once taken from their home environment to a new one they will bicker and fight and establish a new order.

My sorority started with 6 girls that had been living together in the same tank, they still fought when I got them into their new home.

As for the snails, of you mean apple they need 2.5G to themselves, they will poop more than all the girls combined. Nerite, trumpet or pond snails don't have much bio load. As for which will eat plants, it varies.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, there was no real fighting while they established their pecking order. There wasn't even any biting/nipping. There are a lot of hiding places for them all. I understand the concern, but I keep a very close eye on my fish. I can see their tank from where I am sitting and I check on them often. Again, I plan on getting more but am not going to go buy one from the local PetSmart/Pet Co. There are now 7 betta in the house and I keep a journal on here with their activities and quirks. I will not rush into getting my next 1-2 girls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts