Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair that i am going to spawn this spring, and i had a question about snails. lol
I want to put a snail to good use, and have it safely cleaning my tank.
What snails are best for this, and when should they be added?

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I like to use common snails....pond, ramshorn and trumpet and if you feed them really good with fresh veggies-they will also help produce lots of microorganism for the fry to free range feed on for the first week-10 days-depending on fry numbers of course.....and adding live plants to the spawning tank along with the common snails can help create an even better environment for fry....

Snail are great for clean up too and I use them for that...but the food they produce for the fry can really help....you know the fry are eating microorganism by the look of their tummy...it should look round with black/dark colored dots.....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I agree with OFL, also, IMO mystery snails or apple snails (same thing) are good. They will eat the algea and dead fry but not the live fry. In order to keep healthy, they do need calcium.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, thank you.

What kind of live plants do you like best in the spawn tanks?

I know OFL dose a good deal of planted tanks, and i have read allot about how she spawns in the summer...but sadly Washington will never be warm enough for me to do it that way lol.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I agree with dramaqueen, java moss is my favorite for all tanks. Especially the spawning and growout tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts