Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about snails (never bought one). What are some of the common types of them? Are there any that you shouldn't keep with a certain fish? Are there certain ones suited for different sized aquariums, water type, PH ect.? Thanks! :-D

·
Super Moderator
24,109 Posts
I haven't had Mystery or Apple Snails for years; however, many of the snail sites where I lurk recommend nothing smaller than a 10 because of their bioload and size. Some Apple Snails can reach 4".

Nerites, in my experience, are very picky eaters so if you can't provide them with natural algae they probably aren't for you (not you personally :) ). Mine skirt right over algae wafers.

Assassin Snails are pretty easy keepers. I have them, too. They zap all hitchhiking snails. For that reason, I keep my pink Ramshorns in an Assassin Snail-less aquarium. My Assassins eat any and everything. I've seen them on algae wafers, too. I use planting tongs to drop frozen bloodworms in their path when I feed the other tank residents now that I no longer have any bladder or pond snails. They also devour dead shrimp. They do reproduce but not a lot.

Ramshorns are, IMO, beautiful. I keep pink ones. They're pretty prolific but if you're not squeamish, you put the extras in a tank with the Assassins or give them to a pet store as feeder snails.

I keep a small piece of cuttlebone as a calcium source in my tanks. Parameters are dkh of 10; TDS is around 200 and pH is 8.0. I understand these are good parameters and mine are all healthy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
nerites tend to do best with bettas because they have short antennae and stay mostly within the shell opening unlike Mystery snails with super long antennae and massive foot reach. I have one of each and I do grow algae for the nerite when the tank is looking too clean. But I have a half dozen different critters in my tank and the only one who doesn't have a cleaning function is the betta.

Some bettas and other fish will attack the snails and nip at the mystery snail parts that stick out. Assassin snails eat the tiny ones like ramshorns and bladder snails as do some other fish, but so far my betta has left them alone.

Nerites have low bioloads and can be kept in smaller tanks easier than mystery snails. Nerites are usually named by the shell pattern, but they are all the same.

All those above clean the tank. Pagoda snails are the only other snail I know anything about, but they will eat live plants and they have spikes on the shell so if you have a betta who pokes new things you may have an issue.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Common types depend on your area I guess. The most I've seen at stores here are nerites meanwhile apple snails had to be shipped by a private seller. Have a gander at your petshops/fish stores and find the ones they stock the most. Look up their care sheets and find ones that fit your tank and your water prams.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mystery snails are a lot of fun! They have personalities in a way you'd never expect from a snail, plus they move FAST. I can turn around for a moment and find my snail in a completely different part of the tank.

My nerite was much less interesting to watch (unless he was eating against the side of the tank -- watching his mouth was awesome), and pooped more than the mystery snail and my fish added together (yes, I could tell which was his, his poop was a different color). As others have said, they can be very picky eaters, and some will refuse to eat algae wafers and starve if there is not enough algae in the tank.

The aggression of bettas can be hard to judge because aggression against each other, or even other fish, does not ALWAYS translate to aggression against non-fish. My betta goes berserk if he sees his reflection, and seems to be a fairly high-strung fish in general, but he doesn't seem to care at all about the snails. Every couple of days, he'd look at one with an expression of "What the HECK is that???", then he'd kinda shrug and swim off, apparently having decided it was neither a threat nor food. This was true even when my mystery snail was waving his big long antennae right by the fish!

All that said, these things cannot be predicted very well, so if you do add snails, you will need to watch them very carefully to make sure the fish aren't nipping at them, or trying to kill them outright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mystery snails are a lot of fun! They have personalities in a way you'd never expect from a snail, plus they move FAST. I can turn around for a moment and find my snail in a completely different part of the tank.

My nerite was much less interesting to watch (unless he was eating against the side of the tank -- watching his mouth was awesome), and pooped more than the mystery snail and my fish added together (yes, I could tell which was his, his poop was a different color). As others have said, they can be very picky eaters, and some will refuse to eat algae wafers and starve if there is not enough algae in the tank.

The aggression of bettas can be hard to judge because aggression against each other, or even other fish, does not ALWAYS translate to aggression against non-fish. My betta goes berserk if he sees his reflection, and seems to be a fairly high-strung fish in general, but he doesn't seem to care at all about the snails. Every couple of days, he'd look at one with an expression of "What the HECK is that???", then he'd kinda shrug and swim off, apparently having decided it was neither a threat nor food. This was true even when my mystery snail was waving his big long antennae right by the fish!

All that said, these things cannot be predicted very well, so if you do add snails, you will need to watch them very carefully to make sure the fish aren't nipping at them, or trying to kill them outright.
My olive nerites are extremely active and always in different locations. My tanks don't have much algae, so I grow algae on rocks in water outside and give them spinach leaves. Sometimes I bring them algae covered rocks from my boyfriend's koi pond and they will spend days on that rock. I have found they can't sense/smell food when you put it in there, so you have to actually put them on in.

My more aggressive betta was the one I worried about, but he has 3 nerites and occasionally watches them, but has never flared or nipped at them. My calmer betta has 2 nerites in his tank and will flare if the snail gets close to his bubble nest, but I have never seen him actually nip or touch the snails. For the most part, they just ignore the snails.

Nerites do poop quite a bit, so you have to be willing to use a gravel vacuum or baster to remove waste every few days. I would assume other types of snails also produce a considerable amount of waste. My tanks are 4 gallons and it would probably be ideal to have only 1 nerite per tank. The good thing about nerites is that they can't reproduce in freshwater and they grow to around 1 inch maximum.

My pH is high, 8.2, and I keep my water temp at 80 F.

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.