Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a coworker who got himself 2 betta fish and put them in bowls on his desk (I hate bowls) 1 is maybe a half gallon and the other maybe a gallon. Every time I walk past his desk I cringe :(. This week he's been away on vacation. He asked another coworker to feed it, but I've taken it upon myself to actually do daily water changes myself after work hours. I tested the water parameters 4 days ago. Ammonia was 4ppm! I've been doing partial water changes for the past 3 days (don't want to shock them with immediate clean water) and have gotten ammonia down to 1ppm. Hopefully this evening can be .5ppm. He comes back on Monday, but honestly I will probably just keep doing daily water changes after he leaves each evening (I don't actually know him, my studio employs 120 people) because I feel so bad for them. They both have fin rot and one looks like he may be in the early stages of dropsy :(. It really makes me sad.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Wowsers, poor fish. Have you spoken to him about doing his own water changes? While it's heroic for you to take care of his fish in secret, he is learning nothing about what it takes to keep betta fish and has/or will get used to someone taking care of his responsibility.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Have you tried to educate him or show him this forum or at least the Betta Care sticky?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I agree with lilnaugrim, try talking to him abut some simple changes to help improve the fish' living conditions and health. If you're too nervous about talking to him try to leave a simple brief note asking him to look at this forum with easy instructions on how to get to the sticky threads he really should read.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about the friendly note thing, although not actually knowing him I don't know how to gauge what his reaction would be. I think when he gets back from vacation I may try to get to know him a bit on a non fish bases and then hopefully slide in something about the bowls when I think it would actually be well received.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could try going in and introducing yourself and saying that you were walking past and noticed, as an experienced betta keeper, that one of his fish looked sick and you'd like to offer your help.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I second that, walking by and casually mentioning it, "oh hey! How was your vacation?.. [let him talk about it].. I fed your fish while you were gone and xyz couldn't do it, then I noticed they needed clean water so I did that..blah blah I keep betta fish myself ... did you know... blah blah". Something like that. Casual and not intimidating or overbearing like you know everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.