Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah... I got that plant I was talking about and I seem to have a snail explosion of what might be ramshorns, but Wiki says they're herms. I was fine, absolutely happy, with what looked like six of them before I siphoned out poop and leftover food but...

I think that 6 went down to 2 which is apparently now potentially 30 or more. I'm thinking about bringing my male count up and Honey does not seem to be interested in them. I do not know if I'm going to be getting the loaches, at least for a while now, so what can I do to keep this population under control?

The reason why I think it's at 30+ right now is because of this little guy. Initially I thought it was a piece of poop somehow stuck to the glass.

Uh. No. It's not. Complete with tentacles/antennae and shell. It's a spiral shape, definitely not a Mystery at least from Honey. Praying it isn't a pond snail ohdearlordnopleaseanythingbutpondsnails.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think fish can eat them if they are small enough. They aren't crunchy yet. I've noticed a number of tiny snails in my 6.6 bookshelf. I rarely see any on the side Redfish occupies. Ghost, my sight impaired fella, seems to have most of them on his side. I think Redfish culls the ones he sees, but Ghost just doesn't see them.

They don't seem to bother the fish, the kids think they are cute, so as long as the tank doesn't seethe with them, I'm content to let them live.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
ugh!! That's a pond snail! Sorry for the bad news!!!

We took everything out, and picked off every single one that we saw for MONTHS! >_<

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I've got dozens of them in my tanks with plants. it doesn't seem to cause a problem in well planted tanks. you won't have any uber huhe population explosions if you don't overfeed :)
Posted via Mobile Device
+1

we had to feed our bottom feeders, and they just took over!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Oh, I also wanted to say. They're not a bad snail, they're just highly effective at converting resources into babies. Our tank was spotless when we did have them, we just wanted other varieties, and they couldn't thrive with the pond snails taking all available scraps

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not so sure if they are pond snails - not yet anyway. I'll have to wait and see as they get bigger. So far they've got spirals kinda like nerites, but it's more oblong and they've got spots right now on the shells so... Not sure what they are yet, but they are utterly adorable so far.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
So far they've got spirals kinda like nerites, but it's more oblong and they've got spots right now on the shells
definitely ponds. you can tell by the shell in the photo that was posted. It looks just like this one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
o 3o That looks exactly like them yeah, sO i might definitely have a big problem in the future. I didn't think they had spots on them when they're young since the adults I see are entirely black-shelled.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
we eventually ended up with speckled white ones after they bred enough. It happens.

yea, some people actually like pond snails, if they get to be a nuisance, either get a freshwater puffer, or SELL SELL SELL! lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, believe me. I have intentions of convincing my boyfriend to let us get another 10 for a puffer tank. Would feed them to red claw crabs, but I don't think they do snails. Sadly, I can't sell anything to PetCo since they breed and supply from within... Might have better luck with PetSmart though, but no idea.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
pea puffers will eat the babies. You should look into them, they require a 5 gal for a pair from my research

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, belieeeeve me I want to get my mitts on them, snailsplosion or not.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have pond snails though they have their own little tank. I noticed lately one of their recent baby explosions that one of the young has retained a pure white shell with a black stripe running down the middle. Hopping to get some more cool colors from my pair, they are baby making machines but most of the babies die or are eaten by larger babies after they hatch.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huh. So they do a kind of self-culling if there are enough of them? What size tank do you have them in? I didn't know that they could actually do different shell colors :eek:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have seriously found like two baby snails a day in my cycling tank and I am so! over it! squish all the things!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A user on the main TFK forum keeps puffers, and he says you should only have like 1 in 10 gallons (due to aggression i think). I believe he had 3 in 29 at one point. his UN is Boredomb, if you're interested in pea puffers.
From what I remember reading there's supposed to be a female/male ratio similar to guppies to keep down aggression with dwarves so about three would be fine in a 10, between size and plants anyway, I would think. The one site I go to fairly often about them says that it should be 5g/1 puff to weed out aggression and they get more aggressive as they get older, especially when they reach sexual maturity.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
1 male 1 female. The mating pair will try to kill an extra female

1 - 20 of 28 Posts