Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I came back with this gorgeous little girl. She was labeled as a crowntail, and I have no idea what color that's supposed to be, but I'm a little in love.

And just for good measure, here's some pictures of BLU, because he's not shy. Not shy at all. Camera loving fatty fish.

That's right BLU, you flirt for that camera, you naughty fish. :lol:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Very pretty fish! ;D

Do you have a heater in your tanks (I wasn't sure, I didn't see one)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have heaters for them, but we're not using them yet. It stays around 80 in my apartment, since I hate paying for air conditioning. Their tanks stay around 80 - 82 with no heater.

My girl doesn't have a name yet. The boyfriend says that since I have the boys, this little lady should be his to name, but I guess he's feeling uninspired!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Very cute :) but sorry to say those half gallon critter keepers are really not suitable to keep a betta in long term..that's what the girl is in. Guy's looks like it may be even smaller.. 2g is really minimal if you want your fish to stay healthy and live more than a couple years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The critter keeper isn't a long term home for her. I use them as quarantine tanks. She MIGHT end up in my community tank if it looks like the other fish won't pick on her. Otherwise she'll be in her own aquarium later. My boys are both in one gallon tanks and get two water changes a week. I may upgrade them again if the boyfriend doesn't veto more aquariums.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I do have heaters for them, but we're not using them yet. It stays around 80 in my apartment, since I hate paying for air conditioning. Their tanks stay around 80 - 82 with no heater.

My girl doesn't have a name yet. The boyfriend says that since I have the boys, this little lady should be his to name, but I guess he's feeling uninspired!
At least your bf shows some interest. Mine only does when their is something cute or dramatic to look at. I offered him to name one of my new guys but he's just like "well I don't know what to name them, you do it."

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
She's gorgeous!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might have a little problem. I got home today and she seems to be well... Stuck at the top of the water. She swims back down and pops right back up. She still seems totally active. I guess I'll fast her for a day or two and see where we are.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
oh poor thing...I hope she gets better

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Fast for a day or two, and if it doesn't work... you can start by adding 1tsp of epsom salt per gallon of treated water and slowly switch her over to it. If that doesn't work after 5 days, I would up her dose to 2-3 tsp per gallon. But seeing as she was fine, and is now floating (and unable to leave the top of the water) fasting or 1 tsp of epsom salt should work for her :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Make sure the epsom salt is the un-scented kind. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
LOL !! Cute girl you have there ^_^ Hope she'll have a speedy recovery.. Anyway same thing happend to me a while ago. I went to a petshop and told myself not to buy any more bettas and just get water conditioners. I have 6 CTs 3male 3female, and 2 VT's 1male and 1female. But when i went outside i got my handsome Delta Plakat, and now i'm looking for a Female Delta Plakat hehehe. He's housed in my 1/2G tank for now and i ordered a 2.5G aquarium for his new home. I hope i can control myself next time cause i'm running out of place for my aquariums LOL! Here's his pic

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's gorgeous!

My girl is still floaty. It seems like it isn't really bothering her. If a fish can be annoyed, that's how she's feeling. If she's still like that tonight I'll start her on epsom salt.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gosh, what a spunky little girl. Definitely got a swim bladder problem. She floats on her side most of the time, but has plenty of energy to chase my finger across the tank. I hope she gets better soon, I'm really worried. I don't think I over-fed her, I only gave her a single pellet after I got her home. Maybe she was overfed at the store. Would I be able to tell if she were egg bound?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I hope she gets better.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Kimnoa that isn't a plakat, it is just a regular delta. Plakats are short tail, that is just a younger male.

She may have swim bladder, I would start the epsom salt, uncolored and invented at 1 tsp a gallon. Fasting her as well.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
If you can pre-mix salt in 1 gall jug for for the right dosage. Make sure you shake well to dissolve the salt before you use it. And you need to do 100% daily water changes:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy to say that the little miss is back to normal, and has pried her butt off the surface. She's swimming normally, thank goodness. I never did see any fish poo, so I guess she WAS all bloated with eggs. Either way, whew. Glad that's over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uh, may have spoken too soon. She's floating and bloated again. I didn't even feed her yet. I'm so confused about what is going on with this fish. She seems really interested in the surface, and she's blowing bubbles and then biting them. Maybe I should go post in the diseases subforum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts