Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went too a petstore and I jut loved this display tank ;) you an get cheap Ada aquasoil here thy have all kinds of stuff from plants to koi to marine fish sadly their betta section isn't that appealing due to all the poor Bettas :( but this display tank amazed me! It's so beautiful! Idk what the plant on the left is. Anyone know? The one on the left on the wood haha :p if you live in ca sac area then I'll try too find and for you te address !

Attachments

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The left plant that surround the wood is needle leaf/narrow leaf java fern, great low light plant, not demanding, don't bury the rhizome (horizontal part that leaves and rots grow from) or it will rot.
The lighter green plant on the left next to/in front of the java fern in blyxa japonica its actually a stem plant with long grass like leaves, likes medium light and ferts of some sort (goes crazy with CO2).
The smaller grasses on the right are either a dwarf sag or pygmy chain sword, not sure which, and the big plant at the right back of the tank ...is a bit hard to tell from the photo.. looks like possibly philiine java fern, a variety of Cryptocoryne, or maybe Aponogeto.. a closer clearer photo of it would make it easier to ID.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks aqua!! I really like the look of the java fern on the left is it hard too grow a lot of it? I mean, I know how too grow it and all but I dot know how much it will grow? If filled with liquid ferts for leaves, will it help the growth of the java fern grow rapidly?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Thanks aqua!! I really like the look of the java fern on the left is it hard too grow a lot of it? I mean, I know how too grow it and all but I dot know how much it will grow? If filled with liquid ferts for leaves, will it help the growth of the java fern grow rapidly?
It can take a few years to go from a single 3-5" inch long rhizome to that blob in the tank, the more you buy, the more there is to grow. Its not hard to grow, just sloooow. If you get a proper balance of liquid ferts (I'd include a liquid carbon with it if you are not using co2) you should get slightly faster growth, but its still slow growing, the ferts won't magically make it a 'fast growing plant'.
It can also go dormant when first added to a tank (its adapting to the new environment) and may make java plantlets (tiny growth on the back of its leaves, keep them on the big leaves 'till they get long/have several leaves and long roots themselves, they get nutrients from the mother plant like a baby in the womb and grow quicker the longer you leave them on the mother plant) adapted for the new tank, but it will start growing new leaves on the main rhizome ones it settles in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.