Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall! I'm new to this Forum...but not to Bettas...I used to have 4 when I was a kid...my fith was eaten by my father's (monsters) FISH inour community tank before I got Chumani...my first Plakat, halfmoon, dragon, fancy, and AB fishy EVER and due to being my baby, (and because my fam is convinced she'd be perfectly happy in a tiny, empty bowl by herself) I brought her with me to college.^^

Chumani is in perfect health, however...even if she looks completely different...and LOVES her plant-filled tank set up in my dorm. INFACT...she pretty much has a FANCLUB now! A bunch of girls noticed my fishy right away and loved how she swims right up to greet them with flares and wiggle-dances and follows their fingers around and such. SO now all my roomate's friends and neighbors stop by JUST to sit on my bed and watch/play with her for 10 minutes at a time.

Needless to say, my already-spoiled baby girl has been LOVING the attention.

XDDDDDDDDD

However, due to her popularity, a lot of girls keep telling me that they wish THEY had fishes or wish they could bring there pets from home...and a few girls I know are from different countries, and have dorm rooms to themselves, and have told me they feel very lonely. A friendly fishy like Chumani COULD make them feel better...and I would happily show them how to properly care for the fishy...

...but not just ANY fishy is going to be as friendly as Chuchu.

SO I've been entertaining this idea...(mind you, it's JUST an idea...), that I might just breed Chumani to an equally people-friendly male for the sole purpose of making good pet fishies. I do NOT expect to make money, (although I expect to spend some), and will be giving these (if any survive) to girls I know, and girl's who are alone in their dorms.

I have been making a mental list of requirements, and I really want you guy's opinions...and, if it really does seem crazy, your blunt commentary.

Space:

Of course...I'm in a dorm room! While I DO have one of the larger rooms in the building, (and on the first floor, lucky me!), space is still minimal...however, I am close friends with another girl from Chile just on the other side of the hall who has very few things in a room to herself only slightly smaller then my own. She is a LONG ways from home and is one of the girls I truly think that seeing a ton of baby fishies in her room every day growing bit by bit would certainly help her feel less lonely. Not to mention, her room is one of the warmest in the building, and she has expressed an interest in betta fish and betta care and is one of the many "members" of the "Chuchu fanclub".

Containers:

Our cafeteria uses a TON of plastic liter bottles for p much anything and everything, and they typically just throw them out afterwards. I'm sure that if I speak to a worker there, they will happily donate quite a decent sum to house male Bettas born of this idea. (If it bears any fruit to begin with). I have not had these talks yet, however, as I am not yet sure it's even a SANE idea.

XD

Fish Care:

My friend and neighbor has already offered her assistance, as well as a few members of my sword fighting club. The girl from Chile, (as afore mentioned), has shown an interest and I think will be happy to help if I ask. (it could be her "payment" for me tutoring her, lol...not much of a payment tho since she might get a fishy out of it but AH WELL HELPING PEOPLE IS FUN.^^) I have water conditioners, fishy medication for bite-caused infection, food, etc...although live food will need to be acquired for fry, as well as fry-sized food and a sponge filter, (I have a spare heater at home that should do for the breeding/spawn tank).

...speaking of which...

Spawn Tank:

I have a spare tank at home with plenty of plants...however, they are plastic, and live plants are prefered for this sort of thing...so I will have to purchase some. Along with the spare tank I also have caves that the fry might enjoy...(and for Chuchu to hide in), and several clear containers under my bed bought for storage that I wound up not-needing. I have found several breeders mention that they work just as good as tanks, -and are cheaper-.

Also, my home is too far away for me to leave college grounds unless it's a break...so I am here pretty much all the time...but the supplies at my house will likely not be gotten until thanksgiving.

In short...

Supplies Needed:

-Containers...probably about 50...(I'm pretty sure that even if some babies survive my first attempt, it won't be over 50...so incase they all turn out to be dudes, I gotta be ready).

-Fry food: Live and otherwise.

-Live plants, and oak leaves for spawn tank.

-Sponge filter...probably a gentle one.

-Stuff from home.

Prepping for the spawn alone will likely take a couple months at the very least in order to get food cultures going and find a male who meets the below requirements:

1. Male MUST be friendly, and very interactive! Personality traits are sometimes effected by genetics...and Chuchu is people friendly, so finding a people-friendly boy will likely increase the chances of people-friendly fry.

2. He must be BIG. Chuchu's grown a ton from when I first got her...I got her when she was 3 months and she was already big for a baby and she has since grown almost an entire inch. The boy needs to be big enough to wrap her...but small enough that Chuchu is tiiiiiny bit less likely to get injuries from the spawn. (She's my baby...I'm already putting her at risk by doing this. So I want to take every precaution to ensure her safety).

3. Lighter branching is necessary...YES, breeding Chuchu with other tail-types means her lovely spread likely will not carry to the next generation...but she's an import, and a lot of Halfmoons on AB carry rt genes...and her fins DO have a slightly ruffled look to them at the ends. Not to the point of RT, but I figure it's best to be safe...these fry are meant to be pets for College students...they need to be sturdy and healthy...and RTs just...arn't.

4. Preferably with metallic genes, and very shiny fins. This is a personal preference. I do not care about body color, as obnoxious colors tend to be more well-liked by pet owners, and I do not care about form in this instance as once again, these fish will be meant as pets, not for show. I just want the fry to at least have her super-shiny fins that shine with every color on of the rainbow to the point that no picture does them justice. (Her fins went from green to, like, a golden-copper...so pretty...).

Her form has since improved even from her time as a fry...but Chumani's, like, got this EXTREME FEAR of camras...so I wasn't able to get any good pictures of he spread, and I don't wish to antagonize her any further.

X'DDDDD

STILL, the only flaws I can see in her form are a indent in her tail, and her split, uneven vents...and as mommy fishes contribute more to the form of the fry, I think that is bred to a plakat, the fry would have pretty good form for pet fish...however, that's only IF, as I am going mainly by size, health, temperament, and metallic genes then form or tail-type here. However...I have this posted in genetics because I would like to know if any of you have cross-bred Plakats to other tail-types, and what I can expect from doing so...especially hmpk/vt. I can't find anything in english on that AT ALL. X'D

Once again, however...THIS IS JUST AN IDEA. IF IT SOUNDS CRAZY, YOU CAN TELL ME.

So...without any further I do...may I please have your opinions on this...? And any advice...?

(I've posted a simmular thread on Betta source but responses are few and far-between). :/

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Please don't be offended. But while your heart is in the right place, it is not a good idea to be spawning bettas in a dorm environment. There are many reasons why this would not be a good idea. For one it would be very hard to maintain the correct temp in your room. Another reason is that you are there for your academics. There is just no way you will be able to devote the huge amount of time needed to successfully raise and maintain the necessary water quality, at the same time that you are devoting your time to your studies. It would be unfair to the bettas. Dorms also have strict guidelines on living animals. Some do allow fish, but only a small tank is allowable. What would happen if you were suddenly presented with an order by the college to get rid of all of them in a very short time period. Just giving them willy nilly to any other student without knowing if they will be able to take care of them correctly is irresponsible.
Wait til you are out of college and have the time, room and focus to do a spawning.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I'm with Terri. It is NOT a good idea at all to breed in the dorm. Let along breed at all when you are at such an young age.

First, you will not have 50 fry, you will have over 100+ fry (and that is what will be left after some die off).

Next, breeding alone cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. We are talking over $500.

Next, breeding and raising the fry will take up all of your time. You do not have the time to be at school and raise fry. Not unless you cloned yourself.

Next, as someone who was an assistant RA at my dorm for a semester, you CANNOT raise fry there. The second anyone in your university's housing department catches wind (and yes, they will find out, they know everything, you would be surprised what they already know) they will make you get rid of them or even just get rid of them themselves without even talking to you or alerting you. You will come home to an empty room. Also by doing this you also can be "asked" to leave housing - meaning they will nicely tell you that you have to leave. Now you are stuck without a place to live and parents who now have to figure out where you are going to live. You do not own the dorm you live in. You aren't really even renting it. The dorm is property of the university which means the university has control over it. So if you break the rules, they can kick you out without even thinking twice. its a liability thing. The university is responsible for the safety of every student in that building.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
+1 to both of the above. I can understand why you would want to do that, but in a dorm room (apparently small) you are not going to have the time/space/money. And what about all the poor Betta in cups at petco/smart? They need homes to!
Maybe show them how to care for a Betta and then go out on a big Betta buying spree with friends? Then they won't all have bettas of the same personality and appearance.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
+1. In general if Bettas are given proper care they are very friendly. Also breeding a fish with a friendly personality (even if the breeding partner is friendly as well) will not guarantee a friendly spawn.

we can give you things to look for in fish at the store so that people get fish that are more friendly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
THATS AN ASTOUNDING IDEA, Terri has good explanation, read that

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Revosok, this reminds me of the time I was on an online store that sells mostly plants and shrimp, but also fish and I saw something called a community Betta. I examined the fish in the picture and decided it was just a female. Oh yeah, a female won't eat your $100 bumblebee shrimp! Shrimp Fever, the one mistake they made...

·
Registered
71 Posts
+1 to the breeding in the dorm thing, but not to the age! I was 12 when I started breeding bettas. I use plastic totes, and heaters/sponge filters I already have. I don't think I've spent over $50 on breeding supplies, in the few years I've been breeding.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree- nothing wrong with breeding bettas at the age of the average college student, but I would guess your odds of the dorm staff being okay with a betta breeding operation being run in the building are slim to none. Remember, you need a spawn tank, a growout, individual cups with a way to heat them- that's a lot of power to use (and some see aquarium heaters as a fire hazard... and when mishandled, they are).

I also agree that sociable parents are no guarantee of sociable fry. You can pick out sociable ones at your LFS/Petco/Petsmart. You will be able to find them right away, they'll stand out.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
90% of bettas are uber people friendly. Its mainly because theyve become so domesticated and have grown up knowing humans bring food so they learn from an early age to become excited when a human walks past,especially if they have been in the grow out for a long time, they must compete for the closest spot to the human so they can get the best chance of food.

Personally Id just get a good quality pair and breed them, I guarantee that 90% of that spawn will be friendly and sociable. My spawns pretty much fight over who gets to sit in my hands when I put them into the water and thats with out worrying about parent friendliness

1 - 11 of 11 Posts