Betta Fish Forum banner

So I'm Starting Tank Hunting...

855 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jasonh 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! So as a few of you may have noticed, I have a small Betta Cube that is far from being the best home for my Betta, but I try my best. I will be moving in May into my own place, and out of residence, so I intend to be buying a new tank for him! I'm not really sure how big of a tank I want... probably either 5 or 10 gallons, as both of those are good bedroom sizes right? Could I fit a 10 gallon on a desk? I only have my laptop and books.. Haha.

Anyways! Now you know where I want to put the tank, as I won't have a dresser, or much space for a table thing... but I would like some help finding a nice tank for him! Any and all help would be appreciated, so if you want to just tell me what type of tank you have, or post links to tanks either in stores or online, I don't really care, because I'll look it all up :) I prefer glass over acrylic, and I don't mind if it's open or if it has a hood... my current bowl has a top, but it has a big hole in the middle (which I cover when not in the room for an extended period of time, no worries, he can't get out!) so that's fine too.

Sooo ... what type of tank do you have, and what sort of tanks do you like or recommend? Thanks! :D

#2 ·
Hi :)

Some recos for you ...

Aqueon Small Aquarium Combos | Products
I only had their 10 gallon version with hood, light, and filter.
Their filters (which you can buy alone), are excellent, and easy to "baffle" with a sponge
and rubber band (so the flow doesn't blow the betta around!).
Never had any issues with this brand, available at most pet shops....around $50-$80 bucks,
less without the light hood....you can make a hood for cheap.
But also look on Craigslist...lots of people sell aquarium stuff on there....just make sure
they let you test the tank for leaks! I fixed many cracks with water proof sealant though.

Another is the Marineland Eclipse 6 Gallon ... Yahoo! Shopping Search Results for marineland 6 gallon
Also easy to baffle the built in filter, they aren't glass though...but never scratched like some other
acrylic tanks I had.

Walmart sells a Hex 5G...they scratch super easy & the filter peeved me off.

For space...hmm....I'm looking at my desk now...I think a 10G would fit, but it might be a tight squeeze? Depends on how much room you need to work! :) A 10G will weight over 80lbs full...make sure your
desk can hold that! :)

#4 ·
i have a5 gallon for my betta. he is very happy with that. a 10 gallon mey be to big for wha the really needs if your conserned with space. a 5 gallon aqueon mini-bow is good. they ar $60.00 at petsmart and it comes with food(unsure if betta), filter, an heater(light). im pretty sure it comes with a plant to.
good luck!!

#5 ·
Don't go with anything smaller than a 5g.

A 10g really isn't that big, but desk sizes are all over the spectrum. The dimensions are 20 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 12 9/16 where the 12 and 9/16 is the height. You will need a little space behind it for the HOB filter.

Anything smaller than a 5g and it will be impossible to hold a cycle, and you have to do frequent water changes.

I would not recommend putting them on a dresser, as it can make it very top heavy and easily tip over if a drawer is heavy, or binds while you try to open it. Not unless you have the dresser anchored to a stud in the wall.

Consider going to a second had store (Goodwill, Savers, etc) and find an inexpensive furniture piece (desk, or end table, or similar). That way you won't take up desk space, and you can get the size tank you want.

#10 ·
For a desk-top tank I would go with a 5 gal. I had a 5 gal minibow from marineland (maybe? it was a few years ago) that I kept my betta in when I was in the dorms. It fit very well on my desk top with my books and laptop. If you have a really sturdy desk you could get a 10 gal, but they take up a lot of room. A better alternative would be setting it on a sturdy bedside table.

#11 ·
Hey everyone! So as a few of you may have noticed, I have a small Betta Cube that is far from being the best home for my Betta, but I try my best. I will be moving in May into my own place, and out of residence, so I intend to be buying a new tank for him! I'm not really sure how big of a tank I want... probably either 5 or 10 gallons, as both of those are good bedroom sizes right? Could I fit a 10 gallon on a desk? I only have my laptop and books.. Haha.

at ten gallon tank isnt that big. it could fit on most desks. just check the measurements.

i have my red veil betta in a 10 gal with some ghost shrimp. once he got it he started blowing bubble nests like crazy so i think he's happy with his new home. he really didnt do that too much before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.