1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Is there any way to attain a better picture of her, so we can better see the finnagge, and colors. Also. What type of color are you trying to attain from this breeding program

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I'll try somewhere tommorow :)
I'm not too sure really, just trying to obtain as many colours as possible... Then from that strain perfect it :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, not really. Like for instance if i were to breed that to a blue betta, will the fry be both red and blue?

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Hey guys :)
Any ideas on what type of male I should look out for? Males shouldn't be a prob. Females are impossible to find though so plan on building a good stream of females :)
Goal:As many colours as possible and hopefully a HM strain after a few breedings

This is the female I want to breed :)
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
When asking about line breeding, please try to get side views of flaring bettas. That way we could see color, fin type and ray branching. These info will help us help you better.

I'm guessing your female is a traditional blackish + irid colors with red fins - don't know the fin type or rays though. If you breed her to a blue, you should at least get a few irid colors with red fins, darkish color like the female, darkish and red fin color with more irid on it.

Actual multiple coloring IMO involves specific mutation. Other wise color combination will occur according to the color genetic theories. Trying to create your own may take generations of breeding. I suggest you get a male with such color mutation - you should get fry with such mutations and can inbreed further to get it fixed to your line.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
If you want a lot of colors I'd go with some multi colored halfmoons from an established line.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, after seeing the new thread from MrVampire I think I'm just gonna get a blue HM. Cause 2 colours would be easiest. Anyway, my betta pretty much suits the description by indjo so would breeding this with a blue HM give me any blue betta?

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Probably yes, but keep in mind their genetic background plays a big role:
Is the blue from a blue line or is it a stray from other color spawns. If it's from a blue line, thus you should get blue fry plus green and steel blue - not sure about them being solid but definitely multi.
If the blue is a result of "stray" then you might not get clear blue but you will get a lot of irids on body and fin/rays.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. I'll probably be starting the breeding in the next couple of months. keep you'll posted if you want! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright. Will do! Try my best at least... Camera on my droid ain't too good. Btw, do you remember who did the post on outdoor ponds? Saw it once here but haven't seen it since...

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Don't know about ponds. But Oldfishlady does outside natural settings spawns. Also feeds tons of live foods.

I also do outside spawns (tank and tubs) but not natural settings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oops! My bad, was gonna say outside spawns... Sorry. So even with spawning it outside, I would still needa culture of live food going on right? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Yes. You could also culture live micro organisms in outside spawns thus should not need to feed right away. OFL uses a lot of oak leaves as substrate and adds live plants. Age that long enough outside and micro critters will grow on it's own.

I don't use substrate other than anchors for my plants. Put in some live tubifex worms and let it gather at the anchors (they need substrates). Then I dump A LOT of daphnia which will die in a day or two - then the cycle begins. In 3-4 weeks I prepare the tub for breeding (siphon out about half of the water and add new water then let it age for another week). By then there would be a lot of snails (from plants), live bloodworms, some sort of water mite, very tiny daphnia, and some infusoria. BUT I usually feed the fry egg yolk anyway.

Once I do water change, my male goes in and stays around 3-7 days before I introduce the female. I don't use floating anything so I can see the eggs when they've been laid. I simply cover the top where I want them to nest and leave the rest open.

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
My comp/internet is very slow at the moment. I can't open the images. Could you post them directly here

1 - 20 of 29 Posts