Betta Fish Forum banner

Some slight growth on the side of the tank?

408 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
I noticed some very wispy green growth that I assume is algae.. It's rather long and stringy and hardly noticeable unless you stare at the tank.
Is this a problem or beneficial to the tank? It's a 10 gallon, heated to 80 degrees with one female betta. Probably adding another 2-3 females and a shrimp or two at some point.
Wanted to make sure before I scraped off the algae from the side of the tank.
Also..is it a good sign that the tank is nice and cycled? It's been up and running for a few months, but we did just move 2 weeks ago and it was 100% EMPTY of water for 40min-1hr.

#2 ·
It's like most algae - it's not harmful, but it's not hugely beneficial either.

As for adding 2-3 more girls, I'd suggest adding 4-5 instead. If you want to try a sorority, higher numbers are generally more stable. :)

An hour wouldn't have been enough to kill the cycle, don't worry. :)

#5 ·
Im from the US actually. I was just worried with a 10 gal that 4-5 more girls and a snail would murder the balance I have. I always notice if I go above 5 fish total, things start dying. Plus I was hoping to add a ghost shrimp or 3. I love those little guys.

#7 ·
5-6 girls in a 10 is actually perfect. :) I actually wouldn't get a snail, because they poop a lot and do diddly-squat, but you could have as many shrimp as you like (within reason), because they have the tiniest bioload imaginable. It's a good idea to have at least 10 shrimp because they are social and love colonies. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.