Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of tears already. I found a blow-out (possibly) tear on my betta's anal fin. I don't get it. A sudden split usually occurs from flaring, but I didn't ever see him flare without me showing him a mirror, so it can't possibly be overflaring and I doubt he spends his entire night secretly flaring when I don't get to see him. He has been biting his tail for a few days now and I'm doing everything to stop it. I ordered Seachem StressGuard and I give him daily doses, I provided him with more top cover, more plants and more shade. Eliminated that it's his decoration (took out the only sharp thing-his house and bites continued). When I also eliminated water quality problem, light problem and fin rot problem, people said it's probably boredom. Thinking that it's true that the room is silent without any movement for most of the day when I'm at uni, I finally got him tankmates, even though I was really anxious about it, but from what I read, it helped many people to cure their betta's boredom and stop biting.

But when I was creating the post on this, wanting to ask for some advice on making sure they're going to do fine and what to keep an eye on, I noticed a tear in the photo. I immediately jumped to his tank and, of course, found out he had a tear in his anal fin that I hadn't noticed before. Luckily I recorded him reacing to the Tetras so I could go back to that video and make sure it was there before and the Tetras didn't cause it in any way.
BUT WHAT DID?
I am losing my mind here. It's 2:15 AM over here and I can't sleep. I'm trying to do the best I can, but just... It gets frustrating. This is my first fish. You can tell where a dog is hurting, you can pet them around, it reacts and it whines. But I just don't know what to do looking at this silent betta. Despite my best efforts, things keep hapenning and I got so attached to him it just hurts. I already came to terms that he's been nipping the tail, but now that something appeared on his anal fin as well, I'm at loss of words and positive energy...

My water levels (pH, ammonia, nitrates) seem fine according to one of my shaking testing kits.
The tears have no red or black outline.
He has been getting daily doses of Seachem StressGuard for ten days now and methylene blue drops every other day for two weeks,

Does he look sick? He behaved very normal yesterday and I can't really comment on his behavior today much since he got new tankmates. But he seems fine, given the situation. (More can be read in the post linked above, 2nd paragraph)
I never use flash on him, put purposedly did for these three photos.
(Stained glass on the first one)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
What I would do it take out that spider wood and feel if there are any sharp edges. If so, use a grinder to grind the parts that are sharp down. I'm wondering if it's from the wood, where there are small nubby stems that are taring his fins on. the Fins look fine. no redness or anything like that I see on the photos. I hope he heals fast for ya. =(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi, did you see my reply on your other thread? I am confused, you got him tank mates just recently? I thought before you said you had none. What tank mates do you have in his tank currently and what is the temp In the tank?

I see the tear you are talking about and if he is not showing any signs of disease or odd behavior then it must be something he is tearing his fins on ( the wood maybe like Tree said?), he bit it himself, or he over flared ( which if this is the case I am sure you would have noticed).

I will gladly help you if you have any questions at all! I want to find out what is going on with Ciel just like you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I forgot to ask how many gallons is your aquarium? I thought I remembered you saying it was 13-14 liters and that is why I recommended shrimp or snails for your size tank as 1 liter is only 0.2 us gallons meaning your tank is around 3 gallons. You added Tetras, so what kind?

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I just want to say, take a deep breath and relax.

While the tear in his fin seems like a fairly serious injury to a first-time fish keeper, it's not.

These sorts of tears should heal very quickly if the fish is healthy. If the Methylene Blue is being dosed due to the damaged fins, there's no need to do so. A high-protein diet, clean water, and time are all that is needed.

Over the years my bettas have caused some horrific fin injuries to themselves and to each other and I can't remember the last time I had any problems with infection or fatalities resulting.

Potential causes have already been addressed in the post above mine so there's no point in me repeating them.

I did want to ask after reading your other post, did you quarantine the tetras before you added them to the tank? This is a mistake a lot of new hobbyists make, and you run the risk of introducing some pretty nasty diseases and parasites into your aquarium. Even if fish appear visibly healthy, they can be harbouring all sorts of harmful pathogens.

I quarantine all new fish for a minimum of two weeks to ensure that my existing fish are kept safe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp... I didn't. :( What now?

I just want to say, take a deep breath and relax.

While the tear in his fin seems like a fairly serious injury to a first-time fish keeper, it's not.

These sorts of tears should heal very quickly if the fish is healthy. If the Methylene Blue is being dosed due to the damaged fins, there's no need to do so. A high-protein diet, clean water, and time are all that is needed.

Over the years my bettas have caused some horrific fin injuries to themselves and to each other and I can't remember the last time I had any problems with infection or fatalities resulting.

Potential causes have already been addressed in the post above mine so there's no point in me repeating them.

I did want to ask after reading your other post, did you quarantine the tetras before you added them to the tank? This is a mistake a lot of new hobbyists make, and you run the risk of introducing some pretty nasty diseases and parasites into your aquarium. Even if fish appear visibly healthy, they can be harbouring all sorts of harmful pathogens.

I quarantine all new fish for a minimum of two weeks to ensure that my existing fish are kept safe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh! I am so sorry. Suddenly, my gmail decided to throw this site's emails into spam, even though it wasn't there before. So I didn't get notifications and I thought you didn't have the time to reply yet. What the heck, gmail, c'mon.

However, I got three (technically four) Ember Tetras. The post is here
And this is a photo of the full tank now after adding some fake Green Cabomba on the left side. It's plastic, but it's very very soft and he seems to like it there. I'm worried to add more plants before the damn lamp finally arrives. But it should be soon enough.

Oh and when I say 14 L, that's the amount of water I counted I really have for when I put medication or conditioner in. The tank size is for 20L.

I forgot to ask how many gallons is your aquarium? I thought I remembered you saying it was 13-14 liters and that is why I recommended shrimp or snails for your size tank as 1 liter is only 0.2 us gallons meaning your tank is around 3 gallons. You added Tetras, so what kind?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I will go do that.

What I would do it take out that spider wood and feel if there are any sharp edges. If so, use a grinder to grind the parts that are sharp down. I'm wondering if it's from the wood, where there are small nubby stems that are taring his fins on. the Fins look fine. no redness or anything like that I see on the photos. I hope he heals fast for ya. =(

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
At this point, all you can do is keep close eyes on your fish and make sure they aren't exhibiting any odd behaviour or showing symptoms of disease.

Stressed fish are more prone to becoming sick, so ensure that your water parameters are perfect and that nothing in the aquarium (such as your betta) are causing them stress.

I know some hobbyists that never quarantine and don't run into problems. While I am not among their number, I don't want you to think that your fish are now all going to suddenly keel over.

It's just something to be aware of if at some point in the future you purchase further fish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I feel so dumb that I hadn't done that. Why didn't I think of that, it seems rather obvious!!! Well now I'm sackcloth and ashes and fingers crossed about their health.

However, I can happily say the fish don't seem stressed so far. Neither my Betta boy and neither the Tetras. I have been observing them since I woke up today and it seems that all of the chasing stopped yesterday when he (probably), got used to them. They dare to swim very close to him and they never attempt to nip, the same goes vice versa. He often stops to look at them the same people stop to look at a squirrel. There was one adorable moment when they swam into the rock house and he just floated outside looking in through a window. I am really hoping it could work as an entertainment situation for him. After all, my friend's bird was plucking feathers and the vet recommended she gets him a budgie to look at. And it worked. I know I am comparing apples and oranges here but... Seems similar enough?

At this point, all you can do is keep close eyes on your fish and make sure they aren't exhibiting any odd behaviour or showing symptoms of disease.

Stressed fish are more prone to becoming sick, so ensure that your water parameters are perfect and that nothing in the aquarium (such as your betta) are causing them stress.

I know some hobbyists that never quarantine and don't run into problems. While I am not among their number, I don't want you to think that your fish are now all going to suddenly keel over.

It's just something to be aware of if at some point in the future you purchase further fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts