Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a friend named Danielle who has a younger brother, Justin. They have a cat that they share, but I don't think they are taking good care of it, and that annoys me a TON! I'll list the reasons...

1. Justin threw something at the cat and made it hiss wildly (can't remember the "something")

2. Danielle held the cat improperly, she held it almost so that it falls!

3. I saw Danielle drop her cat on purpose! PURPOSE!!

4. the cat always hisses at Danielle and Justin. I can tell they are taking bad care of it...

so... does anyone know what to do to help the cat? I can't stand watching a animal being improperly cared for! it makes me sad. :cry: animals have feelings, too...

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Well it depends on whether they are deliberately and consistently being abusive towards the cat or not.

Case in point, I throw stuff at our cats all the time if they are doing something naughty. The other day I smacked our cat with the dusting glove because she was deliberately stirring up the dogs. She ran upstairs and sulked for a while and that was it.

I hold our cats every which way when I'm playing around with them. One of our cats I carry around nearly upside down and he doesn't care. I also drop them on the ground from my arms as they nine times out of ten land on their feet. I don't hold them above my head and throw them onto the ground but there have been times when I've given someone the odd toss through a door.

Our old female cat used to hiss at you all the time. She'd run up to the door and hiss and scratch at you. Our old male cat growls if you pick him up or brush him. Both of those cats were/are extremely well-loved and cared for.

So I wouldn't base your opinions of neglect or poor pet ownership on a couple of observations. Now if you had seen them doing something like kicking the cat hard enough to injure it or the cat was starving because they weren't feeding it, then I would say that the cat was not being properly cared for.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well it depends on whether they are deliberately and consistently being abusive towards the cat or not.

Case in point, I throw stuff at our cats all the time if they are doing something naughty. The other day I smacked our cat with the dusting glove because she was deliberately stirring up the dogs. She ran upstairs and sulked for a while and that was it.

I hold our cats every which way when I'm playing around with them. One of our cats I carry around nearly upside down and he doesn't care. I also drop them on the ground from my arms as they nine times out of ten land on their feet. I don't hold them above my head and throw them onto the ground but there have been times when I've given someone the odd toss through a door.

Our old female cat used to hiss at you all the time. She'd run up to the door and hiss and scratch at you. Our old male cat growls if you pick him up or brush him. Both of those cats were/are extremely well-loved and cared for.

So I wouldn't base your opinions of neglect or poor pet ownership on a couple of observations. Now if you had seen them doing something like kicking the cat hard enough to injure it or the cat was starving because they weren't feeding it, then I would say that the cat was not being properly cared for.
But sometimes their cat never did anything bad and they try to hurt it... :I

EDIT: and they do it really really hard :(

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Why don't you talk to their parents then? They must pay in part for the cat, so may like to know that their kids are mistreating it.

Otherwise there is really nothing much you can do. If it's getting fed and provided with water and is in otherwise good health, you probably aren't going to get much help from any humane societies in regards to them being rough with it.

I could not be friends with someone who is deliberately cruel to animals. Those people tend not to change and it is hard to have to sit and watch.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a kid in my class who would brag about how mean he was to his cat. From what he said the poor thing would always sleep on his bed with him and in the morning he would always throw it off his bed. Needless to say I hated him because of that and he was a complete jerk to anyone who wasn't "popular."
You can usually judge a person on how he treats other people by how he acts and treats animals. Case in point jerks will be jerks but society will eventually "teach them".

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mmm... okay.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You are 10 years old and you can't even get your own parents to treat YOUR pets right. You have no control. Sorry.

Perhaps when you get older you can become an animal police person. Like on Animal Planet.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^ This

Little Leaf you're not exactly in the best position to tell someone they are not taking care of their pets. Sorry to say.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... I'm just gonna go treat my fish then.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doesn't one of your female bettas live in a 5 gallon tank with 8 other fish?
I think you need to get that sorted out before you try to help other's pets...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she's sick. trying to QT so i can ES her

·
Registered
72 Posts
i cant stand people abusing their pets..and u should ALways say something...i dont care how old you are!..that is not the right way to own an animall..the truth is..NOT everyone is suited to take care of another life...i beleive animals are sacred..esp cats...you should definatly tell them they are doing it wrong..and how would they like it if it were done to them..and if they dont stop..KARMA is will MOST certainly catch up...it always does!!!...P.S...You ARe NEVER too Young to have a Voice..use it..stick up for those who cant stick up for them selves!!!!!!
MegZz*

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
because comments like this are REALLY helpful, and aren't going to do the cat any good... is everything absolutely pristine and perfect in YOUR tanks to start passing judgement??

And Little Fish can worry about their own animals and someone else's at the same time, as long as things at home are being remedied in the process.

It wouldn't be fair to let your own pets fall by the wayside just to save someone else's.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
because comments like this are REALLY helpful, and are going to the cat any good... is everything absolutely pristine and perfect in YOUR tanks to start passing judgement??

And Little Fish can worry about their own animals and someone else's at the same time, as long as things at home are being remedied in the process.

It wouldn't be fair to let your own pets fall by the wayside just to save someone else's.
... I am going to get rid of my other fish and Rose is better. also, what's pristine? a

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hey there,

You are never to young to have a voice, someone needs to stick up for those who cannot speak for themselves and the fact that you are worried about the cat and want to do something about the way it is being treated just means that you are a caring and compassionate person.

I would talk to your friend first about the way she is treating their pet and then if she takes no notice and continues to be rough with it try talking to her parents, they may not realize what they are doing and if you tell them about it they may keep a closer eye on how your friend and her brother treat the cat.

Never let anyone tell you that you are too young to have an opinion and speak up about it, never let them make out that you will not be taken seriously because of your age because you speaking up just may make a difference to a life and if not at least you have tried your best:)

Goodluck, I hope your friend and her brother are taking better care of their cat soon:)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yikes. I think this got a little out of hand.

Here's the deal Little Leaf:

You have a huge heart. The world needs more people like you. I understand where you are coming from. If I were in your position, I would just say something out loud like, "Oh that poor baby!" That way I am not making a stab at the owner, but I am making it clear to them that I empathize with their animal. This allows you to avoid any type of friendship ruining while trying to help an animal in the process. Do keep in mind though that cats are tough creatures, as the first or second poster (I don't remember who since I can't scroll back at this point) stated. I hope this helps. Animals who treat friends badly is always a difficult thing to deal with. If you need any more advice, or just someone to talk to, you can always PM me. I'm no professional, but I always lend an open ear. :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
... I am going to get rid of my other fish and Rose is better. also, what's pristine? a
Hey now. No need to get rid of them. If you can make it work and everyone is happy then I don't see why you can't keep them. Honestly, if your fish are happy then that's what matters, right? You're taking care of them like you're supposed to, so don't let anyone bully you. K?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
My comment was directed at LaLaLayla's statement, not you, Little Leaf.

However, throwing your hands in the air and just giving up isn't a very good reaction when someone doesn't agree with you, either.

Also, age has nothing to do with caring about animals, and the person who brought up your age was being ridiculous. I've been rescuing animals since I was a toddler, you're never too young to care.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Hey now. No need to get rid of them. If you can make it work and everyone is happy then I don't see why you can't keep them. Honestly, if your fish are happy then that's what matters, right? You're taking care of them like you're supposed to, so don't let anyone bully you. K?
I believe his/her tank is very over and poorly stocked, hence the reason why he/she is getting rid of the fish.

Honestly I can see both sides of the issue. A lot of posts on here from Little Leaf have been about problems stemming from poor fish care. You only have to go back through Little Leaf's posting history to see this.

I also know that it can be hard to see animals being abused and being fairly helpless to do anything. Unfortunately, many people get away with minor neglect and rough treatment of their pets. It usually takes something big such as a pet dying or multiple animals to be abused or starving before authorities will take action.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts