Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While away on vacation, I left one person in charge of my tanks for a week. Everything was absolutely fine and she has done it before. I only entrusted her with feeding my fish, so she didn't mess with anything else in the tank. A couple days before I got a new light of some sort ( I don't know what type) and a timer. When I got back I learned that something in the tank short circuited and fried both fish that were in there. I turned my heater off and just left my light on and the tank stayed at a stable room temperature. Then I kept my light off and turned the heater on, still a stable temperature. What in the world happened? My heater is a self regulating one because the heater that came with the tank broke after a few days and almost killed my fish that way too. The heater is a heat stik. Light brand is unknown.
The tank is now at around 80° F.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Are you sure they were fried? What did they look like after death?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what they looked like after they died, as I was not the one to dispose of them. Since I was on vacation, the person taking care of my fish took the liberty of flushing them down the toilet. :(
I don't want to put any new fish in the tank until I know what is wrong with it...

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
What does the light look like?

Like this?

Or this:

Or is it an LED?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Okay, so it's a Fluorescent tube (forgot about those, sorry), those don't heat up the water like an incandescent does and since it's still working, that's not your issue.

Was the tank cycled?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely. It has been up and running for a year and a bit. If it weren't cycled, Naught wouldn't have lived for as long as he did because oto cats are sensitive to such things. At least, more so than bettas...

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Alright, well, since I know nothing of your tank or of what you know, had to ask :)

Was there a heatwave while you were gone? That can cause things to fluctuate even if the house is temperature controlled; more so if it's not. I doubt the Heat stick had anything to do with it, those are dinky little creations and not up to wattage for most tanks over 3 gallons, but I think I expressed that to you earlier anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah you did. Lately I've been having tons of trouble with my tanks. More than usual, so I thought I'd post all of those problems here to try and figure things out and then move on with my life. So I'm guessing the conclusion here is that nothing in the tank actually killed my fish? So it was the heat wave and the air conditioning and nothing in my tank? Is it safe to add new fish in or will my tank heat up again?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I didn't say it for certain, but it's possible.

I would say you can but don't put in some expensive fish at first just to be certain.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Maybe something stressed them out? Nitrates got high while you were gone or light timer malfunction? Disease outbreak? It's so hard to tell without the bodies. I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you find the cause so it doesn't happen again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.