Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new here, and really need some help. I have 5 bettas, most of them are happy and very healthy. However, I think I have a cursed tank. One of my tanks is separated into two by a divider, there are two females and one is very healthy. However the other is not. This is where it's strange, every fish I've put in that area of the tank gets the same symptoms, only to get better when I move them to another tank. It confuses me because Katniss, the other female, has never had problems in there.

I tried completely changing the tank and did a thorough scrubbing only to find a mysterious white gunk on the heater suction cups. After cleaning and changing the water, she is still looking sick. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe something in the gravel, I use a gravel vacuum but maybe I should just replace it? Or I could try placing my pleco in there. I filled out this for more info, please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, minibow
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes, can be adjusted
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One other female separated by a divider.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin betta bits and on occasion, freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her fins are clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sometime laying at the bottom of the tank but still eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not at all
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure, she was saved from petco

All the other fish also experienced these symptoms as well when put there. :-(

·
Registered
432 Posts
That is the heater suction cups releasing toxic metal. Try to get a replacement suction cup that does not release metal this has happened to me before and unfortunately killed Rainbow. that thing went in the trash after lol. When you do get the new suction cups, test the water to make sure it is not releasing metal. i think metal makes the water hard. Put your female in a "not cursed" tank lol. Do not remove the divider as it seems the metal is not able to pass through and to be one the safe side, I would also remove the other female. Don't put a tank mate in because 3 gal is too small:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The suction cups are actually made of plastic, and was on the side with the healthy female. But thanks, I'll look into it a bit more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts