Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have good news and bad news:

Good news:

I went to the local pet store in town here to pick up some bio-max. It is a petvalu. I tend to respect petvalu because they don't sell a lot of pets (lol)... they usually have in-store adoptions from shelters (right now they have a cat)...I think they have some smaller rodent-type creatures too.

They also...of course... keep bettas. I have never actually gone into the betta section where they have the live fish. I didn't want to see the typical tiny cups and potential bad conditions they're usually kept in.

Today however, I couldn't help it and I ventured over to them. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The smaller male bettas were in rather large plastic cups, and the bigger males were in even bigger containers - I mean, they were still less than 0.5 gallon, but it was bigger than what you normally see.
The water all looked clean, and they all looked healthy, active, and responsive.

Then to top it off, I see a little "betta care pamphlet"
I opened it up and to my great joy, there was fantastic information on betta care. Saying they should be kept in over 1.5 gallons, with a heater, and a water change schedule and everything! They even had information on if you have them in 10 gallon set ups they can be kept with select tank mates. Oh my word. I was so excited.

Plus I don't even think they sell the little "betta kits" anymore. I can't confirm that for sure, I wasn't doing a full out investigation, but I saw large fish bowls (at least 1.5 gallons), and 5 and 10 gallon tanks. I didn't see the little 0.5gallon tanks.

When I paid for my purchase I gushed to the employee how estatic I was that they had that little pamphlet and that the bettas were in good care. She said that one of the other employees there made the pamphlet herself, and is very adamant in educating the other staff and customers! They're also getting a new betta display where they can all be housed in at least 0.5ish gallons (by the size she showed me with her hands)

Now the bad news....

There's nothing stopping me from going in there and buying as many bettas as I want now. I'm gunna need more tanks.... uh oh!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm glad you found such a good pet store!! Give them all your money!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
wow, they are amazing, other places watch and learn

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ha! Was that pamphlet printed out on regular paper, as though they printed it out from a regular printer? With a picture of a CT and VT on the cover...?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Now the bad news....

There's nothing stopping me from going in there and buying as many bettas as I want now. I'm gunna need more tanks.... uh oh!
Side note:
We keep the best looking bettas in the back ;D
Though the two coppers are gorgeous looking boys as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well now I know I can come sneak into the stock room. Bettafish forum member special treatment! Lol

·
Registered
823 Posts
They're usually back there if my manager or myself are debating about buying them xD I usually end up buying them to "save them from cruel people" haha Explains why I have 6 bettas that I have collected in less than a year xD
Like this boy for example (who is still at the store ;D)
Water Glass Aquarium Organism Transparent material

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
That is so awesome! we need more LFS like that!
I have one down town where I live and its the same story. she keeps them all in large bowls and has tanks that are over 1 gallon. =) Not only that, she has crickets for My sisters bearded dragon and frozen dead mice for my corn snake. AND its only 5 minutes away. LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're usually back there if my manager or myself are debating about buying them xD I usually end up buying them to "save them from cruel people" haha Explains why I have 6 bettas that I have collected in less than a year xD
Like this boy for example (who is still at the store ;D)
View attachment 350978
Oweee he's got a little mask like Ludwig had!! <3

1 - 20 of 38 Posts