Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle something or other from Walmart

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It almost looks like something is being eaten away by his gills.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is hiding more, falls to the side a bit when he swims, only ate one pellet this morning.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? She told me yesterday.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No not sure what to do.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him on the 11th of this month from Petco.

This is my friends betta and we are trying to figure out whats wrong with him. She texted me last night and he seems worse this morning. I'll fill out the questions I missed as she sends me answers but I wanted to get this up with pictures as soon as possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Idk, he looks fine to me. He's got a black beard and you're seeing it through his gill plate so maybe that's what she's seeing?

Can she take a water sample and get it tested at a LFS or other pet store if she doesn't have a testing kit? Make sure to ask for exact numbers, otherwise they'll just say "it's fine" which won't help us help her any.

If she hasn't done any water changes at this point, she definitely needs to be doing at least once a week around 50% and also make sure that the Jungle whatever is a water conditioner. I recommend using SeaChem's Prime as it will help bind ammonia and stop it from hurting him any. This doesn't mean anyone can skimp on water changes but it will keep the fish safe during the week at least.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See thats what I thought.. but then that second pic made that look more like a hole. It was never like that before.

I can see if she can take a water sample but im not sure she will be able to today since she is working late. I have my own testing kit but I can't get up to her place today.

I know she has done water changes since she has brought him home. I just dont know how many, but she does once a week with her other betta tanks so it will be at least that.

It is water conditioner, I just dont know what its called. She is at work and im not at her place. But since she said he seemed worse this morning and I knew the basics and had pictures I wanted to get a post up as soon as I could. I'm having her switch over to Prime when shes done with the bottle shes got now. She bought it before I was able to tell her to get Prime.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKay so she said she feeds him twice a day about 3 pellets.

He gets a weekly water change of about 80%. And the temp is about 78 degrees.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Okay you say he falls to his side, does she mean he flops over on his own or he falls and tries to right himself? The former is from tiredness usually and the latter from a swim bladder concern, it can help us point out if anything is wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.