Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I currently have a Male Halfmoon betta named Bowie, and I've had him for a few months now. He's the first betta, and also the first fish, I've ever had. I'm hoping to get a nice ten gallon set up for my birthday at the end of July. What I'm trying to decide is if I should try a sorority, it just get another male. I'd be perfectly happy with either option. I just like the idea of having multiple bettas, and the females can be super cute. I've read up on some stuff lately and other people's posts, so I am definitely planning to take my time cycle the tank, get a ton of live plants and cover, and quarantine the fish. I have some questions though.
1. Is a ten gallon big enough to comfortably house a sorority?
2. is there a specific amount of fish I should have?
3. do I introduce the fish all at once? Or over time?

this is all contingent on if I decide to go with a sorority, but I just wanted to get some input before I make a decision :)

thank you in advanced!

·
Registered
246 Posts
The minimum tank size for a sorority is 20gal, you should have at least 7 female betta along with a separate holding tank for each incase anything goes wrong. Sororities are fragile. 10g will be way too small. Go for another male betta.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
+1. I've easily spent over $1000 on my current sorority.

Go for another male -- or divide it in half and get two.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get 1 female for the second tank and have 1 of each. That's what I did. It's cool to see the differences between male/long fins and female/short fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Try getting all females at once, if you introduce a new female with the other females who already established the hierarchy then it will cause problems. I agree with the others, 20 gallon is what I would recommend for the sorority, a 10 gallon won't do

Rule of thumb for sororities are odd numbers, do not have a even amount of females, get a odd number of females

10g wouldn't do for a sorority but it would for a male betta, either divide as others have suggested or let a male betta have it all to himself

Also, use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor if you plan on getting a sorority in the future to make sure you won't be overstocking

1 - 5 of 5 Posts