Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,it's been a while since I've been on, but one of the bettas in my sorority, Queen, has died. She's been refusing most food for a couple of weeks now, and had gotten very thin. Her scales were blue/green but now they seem grey, or almost purple depending on the light. I do not think it is due to the disease in the stickied thread, because she was perfectly healthy for weeks.

It almost looks like she's wasted away, but all the other fish are as hungry as ever. There also seems to be a hemorhagic septicemia issue in my livebearers tank. Is it possible that it got over and infected her? Two fish- a female sword and a female guppy have died of it already, and the other swords that died were questionable.

I'll add some photos in a new reply soon.

I also just noticed that she's leaving dark pigment on the paper towel I had her on. It's a dark gray color. Also, several scales fell off. They are also grey.

Currently, my main concern is the rest of my sorority, and the livebearer tank deaths. I want to know if they may be connected.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g (it's a bit small- I'm upgrading soon thouth, to a 20 long.)
What temperature is your tank? 78 to 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 11 other female bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Varied between: frozen bloodworms, micropellets, crushed algae wafers as treats, freeze dried bloodworms, betta pellets, and API tropical community fish pellets. Every other week they get a tiny bite of a pea.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day, skipping one day a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Had an ammonia spike, so every day or every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AmQuel Plus and Tetra AquaSafe Plus, also a bit of epsom salt (1/2 tsp/gallon)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.8
Hardness: Very Soft
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lost weight/smaller. Fins are more torn.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She rarely came up for food, so I had to cup her to feed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two wks ago about? Or less.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Iwasn't sure what I was treating, so I didn't treat at all. Only have a little epsom salt in the water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got her from the store a couple months ago, as an adult. Probably 1-2 years.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Can you get pictures of everyone to see what it is you are talking about? And just to make sure, are you sure it was hemorrhaging septicemia?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get a pic up of the rest of the girls in a minute. Livebearers in the affected tanks too, just in case.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Poor girl :-( I don't know exactly what this is, I'm going to try to do some research! You can PM LittleBlueFishlets, MattsBettas, Logisticsguy and Sakura8 if she's still around!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not SURE that it's hemorhagic septicemia, and I didn't get pics of the two livebearers that had red dots under their scales (they were also really close to giving birth). I guess I could go and dig them up... x.x It's probably too late to do that. It was almost a week ago. On the bettas, it may be something different.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll try that. Here are the pics of the other girls and the livebearers for reference...

This is Nom- and she has been fine since the day I got her... The other leader is too fast to get a picture of, but her name is Nippy. You can see her tail- purple- at the right foreground in the image. They both seem fine though.

And these are Chili (red in back) and Custard. Custard was white when I got her, but she's so much better now. She's the one with the blueish tinge on the red.

This is the girls from the top. The other two are hiding and I can't get their pics.

These are the guppies. This is all if them. One male and four females. They're all in the pic, except for two fry I saved from the store, who are hiding and growing rapidly.

This is Vanilla- she's kinda the controlled variable. You can easily find red spots or ammonia burns on her if they're gonna be there. She's been fine too.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
The reason I ask about the septicemia is because on lighter fish like Vanilla there, you can see the red veins of blood running through her. Sometimes it is mistaken as septicemia when it's just the veins.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah- the two livebearers had been normal/pale yellow/orange in color, and then developed the spots. Both died the following day- so I was just making an inference. idk.

If another dies I'll upload a pic before I bury him/her. Hopefully I'll be able to find a 'before' pic as well, to compare.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
lol, don't dig them up please! Did they look anything like this?

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They looked kinda like that but the dots were smaller and more spread out. Kind of like what happens to a human when they pop the blood vessels in their face (childbirth, etc, lots of pressure on the face). I'll draw a picture of what it looked like. It'll be quick, so not all that great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's happening to my betta? Rodger was blue with a gorgeous white tip and now he has red streaks and black and looks ragged? What could be happening? Fin rot?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also forgot to mention that when I was examing her body most of her scales fell off. Under her gill covers looked normal, but we're pale. And her fins were a bit torn. Idk if it was because the other girl chomped on her when she was down or if it shredded on its own.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
This is Rodger when I first got him the previous photo is how he is now.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/182395853633036252/[/URL]
You can make your own post by going to the subforum "Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies" and there is a button above the list of threads that says "+newthread" click that and you can make your very own thread so people can respond to that instead of taking over someone else's thread :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, some of the girls in the sorority have been clamping their tails. I did a water change, but they still seem a little down. Is this just depression? They were really happy before Queen died. No sign of hemorrhagic septicemia on them though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I woke up to find the last male guppy dead, and when I came home from the store, Vanilla (betta) was dead. The other girls were brutal to her body- it was nasty. Another guppy (a female) now has a very blood-red gravid spot and is developing red spots. This appears to be affecting both my sorority and livebearers, and I don't know what it is.

I'll post a picture of the guppy who is getting the signs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts