Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm going to make this quick! I set up a 4 girl sorority today and one of them is really mean. Shes attacking the others so i took her out and the others seem ok. Now what? Do i take her take and get a nicer one? Why is she doing that? How do they act at first when you put them in??

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I don't have a sorority, but have been reading tons on them as I am setting one up. Not all girls can live together. But I would put her in time out for a few hours to a day or two then try and reintroduce her, if she doesn't play nice then she may have to live on her own and I would get another girl who seems a bit calmer.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Does your tank have a lot of hiding places? Try moving things around and adding more real/silk plants at all levels of the aquarium so they have lots of escape routs. How big is your tank? You might want to add another female to spread out the aggression more if theres space. I also find that having different types of fish also help ease the aggression but that's just my experience.

Here's a photo of my sorority, when I first set it up it was loaded with plants. I had several amazon swords, and stem plants free floating at the top to help the girls hide when they're getting used to one another.

And worst comes to worst you just got that female who's very aggressive. But don't worry yet, most sorority's will fight a little at first.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
It has a lot's of open space, if it's in your budget get 2 or 3 more plants to float, and you could also get driftwood. I get reptile driftwood and boil it a very long time because the fish driftwood is so expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztHYWmcnY6Y&list=UU5QPzcyW6sHN0OBkffHzk7A&index=17&feature=plcp
That's a video that shows how dense the surface of my sorority was when I first put it together, it only shows one corner because I'm only filming my African butterfly fish.

This photo shows a piece of driftwood I got from the reptile section, the sorority photo above is also from that section. Just make sure they haven't been treated. Both are large and under $20(above $17, huge piece below was $12)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay, I'm going to make this quick! I set up a 4 girl sorority today and one of them is really mean. Shes attacking the others so i took her out and the others seem ok. Now what? Do i take her take and get a nicer one? Why is she doing that? How do they act at first when you put them in??
Now that you have her out, keep her in the cup for a few hours and rearrange your plants and ornaments in the main tank before placing her back in.

Sometimes the rearrangement and the fact the aggressor was introduced last will calm her down some.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Definitely fill in that empty space. You want to plant sororities as densely as possible to prevent chasing and give each female space to get away from the others.

This is my 45 gallon sorority, which as you can see still has some filling in to do. I have had more problems with aggression out of this sorority, than I have had with my much more heavily planted 10 gallon.

Personally, I've found if a particular female is overly dominant, floating her in the sorority in something like a breeder's net for a week or so is enough to ease some of the aggression.

I just did it today with a highly aggressive female I had and after spending an hour or so intimidating one of the other females, she has settled down a lot more.

You can actually see the female in question hanging out in her 'time-out' box.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
+1 to Copper and Little. You have to remember, females can be just as agressive as males. I had one, the prettiest thing, and she's so aggressive she's been banished to a 2.5. She's the kind I think would kill a male in spawning >.>

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the another one out. Now there's only 2 BUT they're chill. They're BFFS already :) I wonder if color has anything to do with it… they're both pale. Only difference is that Cherrie has blue eyes and a red dot and Tilly has black freckles and lipstick :D BFFS!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
They won't be BFFs soon... 2 females in a tank together will turn into trouble and soon.

I would keep them all separated while you get your tank filled in more.. then reintroduce them all at once. As mentioned before- females are just as aggressive as males and naturally do not want to live with other females. But we can make it happen if we densely plant the tanks, and because unlike males- they don't tend to set up a spot for territory in the wild.. so they do run into other females and don't feel the need to attack. All the time.
So fill it up with a lot more plants, medium and high level..

Also keep in mind, even for the most experienced betta keepers there can and at some point does happen on a level, sororities fail. It can happen a week after set up, or a couple years after set up. All it takes is one girl having a bad day.. and they all need to be separated.

Color has nothing to do with it.. those two were most likely the most passive of the bunch.. but once they realize there are only two of them, that will change and they will be attacking one another.

How big is that tank? For some reason it looks smaller then a 10 gallon..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's definitely a 10 gallon…. And they're still not attacking eachother, but their hanging around each other.. Like schooling fish kinda… No signs of aggresion.. :) They're both the same color so maybe sisters?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had a sorority of 4 girls too. 3 of them were perfectly fine in there together, but there was a red one that constantly fought with the blue one, even in a heavely planted tank. I had to take her out and tried reintroducing her several times, but it never worked out.

Some females, if they are relatively large and around the same size, will fight until one is dead in order to claim a higher position in the pecking order.

Right now, the blue one and the orange one(unfortunately, the other 2 died) live in a 25 gallon and are BFFs. I would recommend getting more though, especially if you have lots of space for them to hide in.

Where mine is a 25 gallon, they have more room to get away from each other, but in a 10 gallon, I recommend getting more or like Myates said, it could get aggressive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea! I returned the other 2 and in an hour or so i'm heading to a different pet store to pick up 2-3 more :) THANKS :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Be sure you rearrange the tank before adding any fish to it and add the new ones first, Going from smallest to largest and ensuring they all have enough time to explore the tank and claim their spots.

If you get the chance, take pictures and post them!

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

This is Tilly! She's kinda see through with a lil' bit of yellow and blue! She also has black freckles and lips :)

This is Cherie. Pronounced Cherry. So far she's the Alpha even though she's smaller :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oooo! Those are some pretty looking girls! :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
they look so pretty, I hope everything works out ok :D I'm excited to see your new girls.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's definitely a 10 gallon…. And they're still not attacking eachother, but their hanging around each other.. Like schooling fish kinda… No signs of aggresion.. :) They're both the same color so maybe sisters?
You doing fine. Just keep eye on them as it sounds like you are doing. There are always exceptions to the rule ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts